bucket drops

/ bucket drops #1  

mach1rider

Tractor
JD450C - LM35H
Just got a 3032E with a D160 loader and just at 22hrs on it the bucket will start dropping from the full roll back stop even with no weight in it.
Also the loader arms will drop also a bit slower but they do come down.
Dealer says its within JD specs and nothing can be done. So I have to keep hitting the control stick to keep from dumping the load while moving.

I have an old Massey that will hold the bucket position and loader arms in place till I move the control even overnight with engine stopped, Why won't this brand new tractor do it with the engine running?

/ bucket drops #2  
Bucket dropping/curling without control lever movement indicates a leaking cylinder piston packing or leaking internally spool on control valve.

/ bucket drops
Thanks for the reply, My thoughts are that something is wrong here, But with a new machine it should not be happening at all.

/ bucket drops #4  
Leaking down is like the valve. Only way for the piston seals or cylinder to cause this is if there is an external leak somewhere also.

Try parking in the garage or something and raise the loader about a foot off the ground and curl back. Unhook the quick disconnects going to the loader. See if it drops over a period of time.

Dont go much higher than 1' off the ground, cause in order to hook the hoses back up, you will need a floor jack under the bucket to relieve the pressure from the hoses.

/ bucket drops #5  
Oh, and when they say within spec....what is their spec? A little drifting is normal. how bad is yours? with a load in the bucket and curled all the way back, how long does it take to uncurl to a flat position? if a matter of seconds or minutes you have issues. if hours then I'd say your fine and its just normal internal valve leakage.

/ bucket drops #6  
Leaking down is like the valve. Only way for the piston seals or cylinder to cause this is if there is an external leak somewhere also.

When did someone start building a cylinder that if piston seal is faulty(leaking) that cylinder has to leak externally for boom to lower? Back when I was a JD dealer service manager a cylinder could by pass the piston seal without external leakage.

/ bucket drops #7  
When did someone start building a cylinder that if piston seal is faulty(leaking) that cylinder has to leak externally for boom to lower? Back when I was a JD dealer service manager a cylinder could by pass the piston seal without external leakage.

Probably whenever the first hydraulic cylinder was invented.

The piston seals could be completely removed and it still wouldnt drift if the valve is good.

The rod end and base end of the cylinder hold different volumes of fluid. So for a cylinder to collapse, the fluid on the base end is greater than the rod end, and since the fluid dont compress, it has to LEAVE the body of the cylinder via external leak or leaking past the valve. Otherwise NO movement will happen even if piston seals are completely removed.

For whatever reason, this topic has come up many times in the past few months. Leaking piston seals causing a loader boom to drift is a VERY popular but unfounded myth, that many that dont understand hydraulics seem to keep propagating.

If you are a mechanically inclined individual, picture this:

Take a cylinder and totally remove the piston and seals all together. Now re-assemble, fill with oil, and put plugs on the cylinder ports. Do you think you can collapse the rod into the cylinder full of oil?

If you believe you can, where does the oil go that the rod displaces?

Again, this seems to be a popular myth here as of recent, but it is false. For a cylinder to move, oil has to exit or enter the cylinder. It cannot simply just bypass the piston. and the only way to enter and exit is a faulty valve or leaking fitting, or leaky gland, or something else in the hydraulic system not doing what it is supposed to.

/ bucket drops #8  
I had a Mahindra 2615HST with a ML106 loader. Mine started leaking down quickly around the same hours as yours. Mine turned out to be an internal leak in the loader valve. My valve was replaced under warranty. I forget what the acceptable rate of drop was (I think it was 1" per hour) but mine was over 4" per hour. Time your rate of drop then ask the dealer what the acceptable rate is and compare.

/ bucket drops #9  
The 3e loaders have some of the quickest leak down numbers you will see on the JD table of FEL specs. The 305 on my 3038e does the same way. I leave the bucket on when bushhogging as counterweight & have to curl every 5 minutes or so to keep it from bouncing (with associated banging noise) on bumpy ground...

Nick

/ bucket drops #10  
Probably whenever the first hydraulic cylinder was invented.

The piston seals could be completely removed and it still wouldnt drift if the valve is good.

The rod end and base end of the cylinder hold different volumes of fluid. So for a cylinder to collapse, the fluid on the base end is greater than the rod end, and since the fluid dont compress, it has to LEAVE the body of the cylinder via external leak or leaking past the valve. Otherwise NO movement will happen even if piston seals are completely removed.

For whatever reason, this topic has come up many times in the past few months. Leaking piston seals causing a loader boom to drift is a VERY popular but unfounded myth, that many that dont understand hydraulics seem to keep propagating.

If you are a mechanically inclined individual, picture this:

Take a cylinder and totally remove the piston and seals all together. Now re-assemble, fill with oil, and put plugs on the cylinder ports. Do you think you can collapse the rod into the cylinder full of oil?

If you believe you can, where does the oil go that the rod displaces?

Again, this seems to be a popular myth here as of recent, but it is false. For a cylinder to move, oil has to exit or enter the cylinder. It cannot simply just bypass the piston. and the only way to enter and exit is a faulty valve or leaking fitting, or leaky gland, or something else in the hydraulic system not doing what it is supposed to.
I'm glad you get it.
You probably saw the thread where I was debating this issue a couple weeks ago. I would like to say however, that a curl cylinder is different than a boom cylinder in this regard, since the curl cylinder is EXTENDING not RETRACTING. When a curl cylinder has bad seals, a vacuum starts to develop as the rod exits the cylinder. At some point, air will be pulled in around the rod seal, since they aren't very effective for sealing a vacuum. So it will keep extending. I won't go through the boom cylinder scenario since it is painfully obvious that you can't cram a steel rod into a cylinder full of oil without it leaking out somewhere.