Tractor stops when clutch depressed ... doesn't coast ...

/ Tractor stops when clutch depressed ... doesn't coast ... #1  

DPForumDog

Tractor
not yet
My JD 5203 tractor doesn't coast when I clutch. it doesn't coast even when it is in neutral. If you clutch and slip it out do gear -it stop- even if you are going down hill!

Is this a safety thing or is something wrong with my tractor? It's like the parking brake is like the parking brake is slightly engaged all the time. I am wondering if I am somehow powering through a brake.

I don't know if this has been like this all along or I am just now noticing it? I don't think so.

Any and all help appreciated.

DP

/ Tractor stops when clutch depressed ... doesn't coast ... #2  
I think your brakes are dragging and you need to correct that before you burn up your brakes. A geared tractor should coast just like a car when clutched or in neutral. HST is different but still will coast when in neutral. If you have a parking brake it could be adjusted too tight causing drag or the foot brakes might be hanging up, regardless the cause, you need to get it fixed.

/ Tractor stops when clutch depressed ... doesn't coast ... #3  
JD 5000 series tractors such as your 5203 have a history of the brake pull off springs(parts key 1) weakening requiring R&R of rear axle housings.

Attachments

• LVP942_________UN29MAY97.gif
    LVP942_________UN29MAY97.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 253
   / Tractor stops when clutch depressed ... doesn't coast ...
Holy Smokes!

/ Tractor stops when clutch depressed ... doesn't coast ... #5  
Check out this thread under parts/repairs on this site. He did away with the springs.

JD 5300 Brake springs??? Help??
hookdrvr

/ Tractor stops when clutch depressed ... doesn't coast ... #6  
yep..txjim nailed it..get busy with about 500 in parts..unless ya break the disc

/ Tractor stops when clutch depressed ... doesn't coast ... #7  
do the new models have the same design and possible issue?

/ Tractor stops when clutch depressed ... doesn't coast ... #8  
do the new models have the same design and possible issue?

That would be good to know.
Has this been a problem that shows up after X hours of operation, or just when it feels like it?

/ Tractor stops when clutch depressed ... doesn't coast ... #9  
According to parts that I viewed new tractors in the same models still have the brake springs. IMHO JD hasn't exerted much effort since the early 90's in changing the reliability of the temp sensor in the photo below so why would the spring failures bother the JD engineers.

Attachments

• RE503242.jpg
    RE503242.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 279
   / Tractor stops when clutch depressed ... doesn't coast ... #10  
According to parts that I viewed new tractors in the same models still have the brake springs. IMHO JD hasn't exerted much effort since the early 90's in changing the reliability of the temp sensor in the photo below so why would the spring failures bother the JD engineers.

Well, if they have known about these problems that long, then they must at least last through the warranty period.
I wouldn't want JD to cut into the profits, by fixing problems they know about, under warranty.:eek:

Bill