Backhoe John Deere 110 TLB Backhoe Rebuilt

/ John Deere 110 TLB Backhoe Rebuilt #1  

V1BuzzBomb

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB
I rebuilt everything from the backhoe bucket pivot pin and out. Upon receipt of machine and one year later, I found that I had a few grease fittings not taking grease. The grease port through the backhoe bucket pin and the grease port at the end of the stick were packed with hard grease and metal powder. Likewise was the case at the other pin in the quick attach bracket. These required drilling and pin hammering to clear. Lastly, I found the grease fittings on the thumb pivots weren't flowing. The thumb pivots are bushed. The bushings have grease grooves on the ID and the OD with four ports that connect the ID and OD grooves. I ended up pressing the bushings out with a ball joint press, clearing grease grooves and ports then reinstalling the bushings. Short of a lot of soaking, this was the way. I also had a bent thumb finger, it was actually hitting the outside bucket tooth. While off, I pressed that straight.

Going into winter, I feel better about the machine. There's other maintenance required. When you buy a used piece of construction equipment, it takes some time for things to expose themselves and get sorted out. Certainly, a lack of grease, "I'll get to it later", can end up with my circumstance. Even as simple as one squirt a day per fitting per day of use can go a long way to saving trouble down the road.

/ John Deere 110 TLB Backhoe Rebuilt #2  
You have done a lot of work to that 110, I've been following your post. Thanks for all the photos and info. It may come in handy someday....:cool2: :thumbsup:

/ John Deere 110 TLB Backhoe Rebuilt #3  
You have done a lot of work to that 110, I've been following your post. Thanks for all the photos and info. It may come in handy someday....:cool2: :thumbsup:
I'll second that!

/ John Deere 110 TLB Backhoe Rebuilt #4  
Approximately 6 years ago, we purchased a John Deere 110 Backhoe/Tractor, brand new for
$72,000. We look after that machine to the letter of the manual and have since it arrived in our shop lot. Our problems began with only 30 hours of working time on the machine. The tie rod end fell off and had to be replaced. Since then, there is a list of things we've had to repair;
the front end has been replaced 3 times
all the hoses on the machine have been replaced at least once
drained and flushed the hydraulic system at least 5 times
the lift cylinder was repaired 2 times and a one had to be purchased the third time
has had a constant intermittent problem... would start and run and suddenly stop and was immovable
From the time of purchase until August 30, 2014, there were only 2200 working hours on the machine. John Deere is absolutely useless as far as compensation for the work we've had to do to this machine to achieve 2200 hours. Perhaps with your knowledge, you can help us determine why the machine starts but will not engage forward or backwards.? Please?

/ John Deere 110 TLB Backhoe Rebuilt #5  
There will be a code flashing on the console if it is not moving. What is the code?

/ John Deere 110 TLB Backhoe Rebuilt #6  
Mine's an '08 model. No flashing codes. It beeps at you if it's not happy and flashes the orange manual (looks like a book) symbol.

Series of long and short beeps - like morse code and you translate them from the list at the back of the Owner's Manual.

AKfish

/ John Deere 110 TLB Backhoe Rebuilt #7  
One of the best investments when buying ANY piece of equipment - IMO - is the technical repair manual. That said, if I had to take a stab at the problem - I'd guess that there's something haywire with the F/R potentiometers. Check the fuse panel?

AKfish

/ John Deere 110 TLB Backhoe Rebuilt #8  
I know others (even non 110 tlbs) have had issues with a (relatively) inexpensive speed sensor, and it would not set faults.

/ John Deere 110 TLB Backhoe Rebuilt #9  
Apparently there is no code that shows. There is no power to that area of the tractor.

/ John Deere 110 TLB Backhoe Rebuilt #10  
Sounds like you fixed it. Restore the power.