John Deere 5085 Flat Tire Question

/ John Deere 5085 Flat Tire Question #1  

bravo2zero

Silver Member
Tractor
I was out on the land this morning and mowed about 30 acres. Came in the house to take a break and grab some lunch. Went back out and noticed that the left rear tire was flat as a pancake. There is a hole that is about 1-2 mm more or less a very very tiny hole. I know that these tires cost $1,000 and this is a brand new tractor not even a 100 hours on it.

My question is this.... Can a tire like this be patched just like a car tire? I know that it had anti freeze inside the tires for ballast. Anyone have a recommendation where I don't have to spend $1,000. We have a baby on the way and by no means can afford this at the moment, a $1,000 that is!

I really appreciate any feedback I could get.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Last edited:
   / John Deere 5085 Flat Tire Question #2  
You can always put a tube in it, not sure if they can be patched, but I would check with a tire shop

/ John Deere 5085 Flat Tire Question #3  
it can be fixed, if it has a tube in it you can patch the tube, if its tubeless you can plug the hole. call around and find tire dealer that has service truck

/ John Deere 5085 Flat Tire Question #4  
Rear tire flat be it tube or tube type can be repaired by a competent tractor tire repairman.

/ John Deere 5085 Flat Tire Question
Dang so this is going to cost me $200-$300 probably. I don't know if it's tubeless or not. I know that they placed anti freeze in the tire for ballast. I guess I'll have to phone John Deere in the morning. I can't catch a break! :(

They were just here on Friday, had to order an expensive part and their going to come out and do an oil change and filters considering I'll be at100 hours very soon.

/ John Deere 5085 Flat Tire Question #6  
Antifreeze not likely, but windshield washer fluid more of a possibility. No advantage to antifreeze for weight over WWF, and some don't like the risk to animals that can drink it if it spills out. You have any animals lined up drinking it while you were at lunch?

I don't have animals on the land. But I also didn't even notice fluids coming out at all.

/ John Deere 5085 Flat Tire Question #8  
no need to call the dealer call tire store that has service truck. if you post a picture of valve stem we can tell you if it is tubeless or not

@ whis - I took a pic of the stem and the puncture. I really appreciate the help. If it's tubeless would that be a simple fix compared to tube? What part of Bama are you from ;)

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

/ John Deere 5085 Flat Tire Question #10  
Watching this thread. The valve stems on the rear tires of my 6415 are different (from each other), so I suspect one is a tube and that tire suffered flat before I bought the tractor. Mine are filled with Calcium Chloride (not my choice) by previous owner.