How to remove retractor (pull off springs).? Brake retractor springs JD 5203

/ How to remove retractor (pull off springs).? Brake retractor springs JD 5203 #1  

DPForumDog

Tractor
not yet
The axel housing is on the work bench, but now I can't get the retractor springs out. I am looking at the back side of the screws.

It appears the tractor springs are working, but the piston plate is not retracting completely. There is a gap and I am wondering if there is foreign matter ( dirt crap etc) in the gap.

If I could get the plate off , then maybe I could clean it and that may be all that's wrong with it.

Any and all discussion appreciated,

Granny DP

DPForumDog

/ How to remove retractor (pull off springs).? Brake retractor springs JD 5203
To be more accurate we are trying to remove the piston plate to get to the brake retractor springs.

/ How to remove retractor (pull off springs).? Brake retractor springs JD 5203 #3  
The following is from the repair manual for the 5X10, hope this helps.

Piston assembly is press fit into final drive housing. Remove only if necessary.

Remove piston assembly using a pry bar. Pry at three retractor locations evenly until piston assembly is removed.

Thanks JD5210. My husband had seen where the 5203 manual says to use a 3 prong puller but he was sure exactly how as he was concerned he would damage something.

He is also wondering what the original brake disc thickness was? He wants to determine wear. But I might need to post that on a different thread.

/ How to remove retractor (pull off springs).? Brake retractor springs JD 5203 #5  
Here's the spec's JD lists for brake disk.
HTH's Jim.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 457
   / How to remove retractor (pull off springs).? Brake retractor springs JD 5203 #6  
I take you are talking about the friction disc, I did not see anything that addresses the thickness. I do suggest that you purchase the tech manual as it will aid in putting it back together. Look at selectmanual.com to purchase a downloadable version for $29.95.

It appears the part number is AL162808 you may want to do a google search for specs.

Yes, I called it the brake disk but my husband also calls it the friction disk.
We had already bought and downloaded the (3) tech manuals from select manuals a few weeks ago, but the manual doesn't go into detail on how to remove the piston plate, and we were concerned we would break the brake disc, ( uh I mean friction disk ...lol)

/ How to remove retractor (pull off springs).? Brake retractor springs JD 5203 #8  
I had awhile back posted what was in thread #3 for another member and it seemed to work for him. TxJim posted the specs, but you might consider posting a picture of the friction disk to see what others think about the wear.

/ How to remove retractor (pull off springs).? Brake retractor springs JD 5203 #9  
if its got fiber on it its good.alot of times it will break off or tear apart..but if its intact you will likely never wear em out.

like I said..be careful with those metal rings. They come out carefully. If I recall they're about 350 ea

that little coil spring inside there almost doeasnt look like it actually does anything..but it is likely the root of all eveil in those brakes...crazy

like I said..be careful with those metal rings. They come out carefully. If I recall they're about 350 ea

Yep, that is his fear. Right now he is planning on making some lady slipper pry bars in his machine shop.

We only go to the property on the weekends so we removed both axels and brought them to the house.

We also found some grease fittings that we didn't know were there. Gonna have to start doing some regular maintenance on those too. I don't remember that being mentioned in the maintenance list, but I may have overlooked it.