Rebuilding John Deere 7 Backhoe and need measurements

/ Rebuilding John Deere 7 Backhoe and need measurements #1  

bankston

Tractor
JD 855
Hello all, I finally pick up a #7 backhoe for my 855. But the attachment is in very poor shape , and is missing a bucket. Online parts guides do not list prices for a bucket so I am planning on building a few different sized buckets if the price is too far out, or buy one size and make a few more from its mounting specs. I am also in need of a few measurements on the main frame to square up some shotty repairs, so I am hoping to find a like minded JD 7 hoe owner within a few hours drive of NW Pa that would let me take some measurements and pics for decal placement. If anyone can help, please PM. Thanks.

/ Rebuilding John Deere 7 Backhoe and need measurements #2  
:welcome: to TBN

/ Rebuilding John Deere 7 Backhoe and need measurements
Thanks for the welcome, beenthere. Kyle, thanks, but I too have access to Google image seach. Im looking for very specific measurements to repair damage to the lower main frame, measurements for exact decal placement, and bucket attachment dimensions to replicate mutiple sizes and a ripper hook. I plan on upgrading the stabilizer feet and adding a bolt on thumb, if possible. The tapered boom will prove challenging for not welding the thumb.

John Deere says buckets are no longer available. That worries me. If I cant find one to copy, I may have just bought articulation green flag pole for the back of my 855.

/ Rebuilding John Deere 7 Backhoe and need measurements #6  
so I am planning on building a few different sized buckets if the price is too far out,
or buy one size and make a few more from its mounting specs.

I made a bkt for my CADDigger years ago, and it was very rewarding. I was able to bend 1/4" x 13" steel
plate into a nice curved shape using an O/A torch for heat, and a come-along. Learning from that, I
would now use 1/8" plate and attach wear strips.

You do not need to copy the OEM bkt, except for the pin sizes. You should make the pin spacing similar
to the OEM.

On my current hoe, I use my 12" bkt all the time, as it is too tedious changing to my 18" unit. You may
be happy with one size, too.

/ Rebuilding John Deere 7 Backhoe and need measurements #7  
Is that the one that was on eBay?

I made a bkt for my CADDigger years ago, and it was very rewarding. I was able to bend 1/4" x 13" steel
plate into a nice curved shape using an O/A torch for heat, and a come-along. Learning from that, I
would now use 1/8" plate and attach wear strips.

You do not need to copy the OEM bkt, except for the pin sizes. You should make the pin spacing similar
to the OEM.

On my current hoe, I use my 12" bkt all the time, as it is too tedious changing to my 18" unit. You may
be happy with one size, too.

I plan on laying alot of 4 inch drain pipe, so I need as narrow I can, one as big as I can safely have for cleaning/grading, a plain digger in between, and some type of fang/root buster.

I dont NEED to reproduce the original bucket exactly, but if I gotta make it, I might as well. I have some really good picks of a NOS bucket that I missed in eBay, and if I had the pin spacing and mouting width, Id be cutting plate on the water jet tonite.

Sorry, double post.

Last edited: