Question for Wildman

/ Question for Wildman #1  

bwc

Tractor
JD 455
Has the replacement thermostat you bought for your 2210 helped in increasing the interior cab temperature? I have a 455 which takes a similiar type t'stat (160 F) and want to replace with a 180 or so. Have you installed a temp gauge?

Brian

/ Question for Wildman #2  
BWC,
Yes, I replaced my 160f with a 190f and it made a huge difference. Before the hoses were luke warm to the touch and now they get too hot to keep your hand on them for more than a couple of seconds. I know the 455 takes the same thermostat but not sure about the 445. Shucks Auto has a bunch of generic ones in all different sizes and heat ranges.

/ Question for Wildman #3  
BWC..I see you do have a 455. Our 'stats are the smallest ones available at Shucks.

I haven't installed a temp guage yet. I want to retain the idiot light and need to find a "T" adapter that will accept both senders. My Izusu 60hp diesel in my boat has a 190f termostat and it runs 180-190 at full cruise. Cools to around 170 idling.

/ Question for Wildman
That is good to know. You wouldn't know by chance the make and model of the t'stat you bought? Also did your oem t'stat have a small by pass hole in it with a sort of float valve along the outer flat ridge? Mine does and I do not know why this hole is there except maybe as a bypass??

Brian

/ Question for Wildman #5  
I have a 195 degree thermostat in my 4110. After reading Wildmans post, I did some research and found out that a 2000 Pontiac Firebird with the 6 cyl. engine takes the same size (44mm), so I went down to AutoZone and picked up one for $5. They offer 160, 180, and 195 degree thermostats.

By the way, it does make a big diference. Even though my heater is home made, I can be in just a shirt while temp is at 10 deg. outside.

Scott

/ Question for Wildman #6  
Slefervre..that's very interesting. How did you find this out?? The only way I finally found an aftermarket 'stat was to just take mine out and travel to several different autoparts stores. Shucks was the only one with a rack of 'stats..just find the one that is the same diameter and heat range that you want.

BWC..yes, my oem 'stat has the same small hole and float plug. I don't recall the brand name. My Curtis cab heater now puts out at least twice the effective heat that it did with the oem 'stat.

I was blowing snow at 20f last week with the heater on high. It actually got too warm inside and I turned it down to low (fan speed). I was wearing a windbreaker jacket, no gloves and a JD ballcap (levi's too). At a OAT of 0f the high setting makes it totally comfortable with the windbreaker. If it's blowing I get some chilly drafts up through the floorboard slots the pedals go through, but not bad.

I began using PS fuel additive and changed the 'stat at about the same time. The engine definitely runs smoother. I used to be able to feel the RPM if I was running over 2200 or so. Now I have to check the tach 'cos I can't "feel" the RPM's...smooth.

Anyway, after 2 hours of blowing 8" of heavy snow from 8 driveways and using full power on some of them I can say there were no temp problems.

/ Question for Wildman #7  
Wildman,

I did a yahoo search for "thermostat 44mm", the first hit was this site

Hypertech 160°F Thermostat Install Guide and Review

which talks about the 2000 Firebird and the 44mm stat.
I figured for 5 dollars I'd check it out. By the way, the gasket for the firebird also fits perfectly (at least it does in my 4110).

Scott

/ Question for Wildman
Thanks a bunch Slefevre amd Wildman 1. Now that we know the 3.8 GM V6 is a cross match, this makes it real easy to locate. I appreciate the help and comments. Play safe.

Brian