R-4's: new vs old style

/ R-4's: new vs old style #1  

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 850 & 4310
Just curious if anyone has noticed any difference in the 2 styles of R-4 tires. Better traction? Are the new ones as tough as the old ones? Why the switch?

Is JD the only ones using these? I haven't really looked to see what the other tractors are using.

image-805508379.jpg

image-1236324960.jpg

/ R-4's: new vs old style #2  
I would think the new ones would slide sideways on wet slopes worse than the old ones.

/ R-4's: new vs old style #3  
Same manufacturer? Each company has their own tread design. They don't just draw a pretty picture and say let's go with that. There's lots of engineering and testing involved. Not to mention cost!
Steve
South IA

/ R-4's: new vs old style #4  
I would guess those small ridges in between the main lugs would help with sideways slipping.

/ R-4's: new vs old style #5  
I don't think it has anything to do with sideways slippage. It looks like they are designed to shed mud more easily than the old style which is a good thing. The old style would just slick over in just a little bit of mud. Only a test drive would verify that though.

/ R-4's: new vs old style #6  
Might be from the low bid supplier

/ R-4's: new vs old style #7  
It looked to me like the R4's with the curved treads are on 3000 or 3 series utetractors. I think the 4x20's and 4 series still have the angular tread, and possibly some of the small CUT's. I have a 4520 with R4's and they are the least liked feature on my unit. I'd probably get R1's if I was to buy another, and take my chances with chewing up the turf.

/ R-4's: new vs old style #8  
The old style tires are 6ply rated the new are 4 ply rated and a little larger .

/ R-4's: new vs old style
The old style tires are 6ply rated the new are 4 ply rated and a little larger .

I was wondering if they were the same ply or not. Does 4 ply mean they have a little more give to them? That would be good for mowing but not sure about the front tires when you've got something in the FEL or if they would be as tough in the woods.
Have you had both types?

I sent JD corporate an email asking about them. I'm still waiting on a response. If I hear something I'll put it on here.

I wonder if the new ones are supposed to be a hybrid between an R-1 and an R-4? My 850 had R-1's and I think they were 4 ply. They had some bounce when I mowed with it.