Oil & Fuel Changing transmission oil in JD 2520

/ Changing transmission oil in JD 2520 #1  

pdmac

Tractor
JD2520
The JD2520 has an open system, not a closed transmisision like in a car (ie., if you have any attachments on the tractor such as FEL & quick hitch when changing the tranny oil) then you will certainly need more than 2.6 gal recommended. It will take close to 4 gal of oil or more. Everyone who has written about this, has learned the hard way, and usually had to make a call to their JD dealer. Also, the new oil is not the same color as the oil being replaced. If this is your first tranny oil change, the oil put in at the factory is breakin oil and is purplish, the new oil recommended by dealer is more like clear. No, the manual that came with the tractor is not helpful. One would think after all the calls, discussion boards, & complaints to JD, they would have issued a new booklet or manual. The tranny filter on my 2011 is located under the tractor, on the left side (if facing the front of the tractor) along with another drain plug. It is important to remove the metal screen filter & magnets, clean all thoroughly, I used starting fluid, and put back in place. ALWAYS use JD recommended oils & filters for your tractor.

/ Changing transmission oil in JD 2520 #2  
???
Is this post in response to a post in a thread? Maybe you started a new post rather than doing a "reply" to a post you were reading.

:welcome: to TBN

/ Changing transmission oil in JD 2520 #3  
Yeah, I am a little confused also...A couple points that stood out:

It will take close to 4 gal of oil or more
4 gallons? I know what listed in the manuals and what you can get in when doing a service differs some, but 4 gallons different? I've never seen or heard of such a difference.

Also, the new oil is not the same color as the oil being replaced. If this is your first tranny oil change, the oil put in at the factory is breakin oil and is purplish, the new oil recommended by dealer is more like clear.
Wrong sir, it is not "break-in oil" for the transmission, it is red to help find leaks, a dye is added for this reason. JD even sells the dye, it's part #MT3668
Oil Dye.jpg Oil Dye-1.jpg Oil Dye-2.jpg