Oil & Fuel J Deere 4300 starting issue

/ J Deere 4300 starting issue #1  

wrede

Bronze Member
Tractor
2001 J. Deere 4300
It's a little cold outside. 20F. Recently, I have had a problem starting the tractor. It cranks fine, but doesn't start. Tried the manifold heater. Nada. After turning the start switch on and off a few times, I then cranked it and it started right up. I was thinking that the fuel solenoid is sticking? I use additive, and so I doubt it's gelled. Is this a common problem. Is it a big deal to replace, assuming that's the problem?

/ J Deere 4300 starting issue #2  
May be just the cold. Also search thermistor on here for hours of reading.

/ J Deere 4300 starting issue #3  
I was thinking that the fuel solenoid is sticking?

Should be able to hear the solenoid click when turning on the key... or not?

Don't understand "turning the start switch on and off a few times" how that would/could make a difference. If a computer were involved, than maybe but don't think our 4300's have any computer that re-initiates when turning the key off and back on.

Checking out the thermistor sounds like a plausible thing to check out.

/ J Deere 4300 starting issue
Went out today (25F) to load some logs. Started right up on first turn of switch. I'm not sure about a solenoid click, but I may be confusing that with what I think is the fuel gauge turning on?

/ J Deere 4300 starting issue #5  
In order to activate the grid heater for easier starting you have to turn key to run and push in on key. Cycling the key on and off would do nothing to help starting.

Yes, I'm aware that the manifold heater is engaged by pushing in the key, but I only use it when it's really cold here in NJ which is 0-10F. Normally, it turns over and starts in less than 2-3 seconds. The other day before I tried the start switch cycling, it just kept cranking and wouldn't start. After cycling the key a few times, it fired up immediately. I'm thinking that maybe the solenoid was stuck and cycling the key caused it to engage?? Anyway, today it fired right up and ran perfectly for the 2 hours or so that I was loading logs. I had a similar problem last winter and thought it might be gelled fuel, but now I'm wondering. It has run without a problem over the last 10 months or so, and then I had that starting problem the other day, and I had tried the manifold heater. Could a bad thermistor cause intermittent problems like that? Thanks for your help.

/ J Deere 4300 starting issue #7  
Assuming there is not any smoke when cranking it sounds like the relay for the fuel solenoid may not be sending power to the fuel shut off when cold. When cold with key on check for 12v at fuel soleniod.

/ J Deere 4300 starting issue #8  
Might be the battery...not only does it have to crank, it has to crank fast enough the start the engine. A old or weak battery may just not have adequate cold cranking amps to turn the engine fast enough.

The battery is a high cranking amps Optima, less than 3 years old, that I was able to squeeze in that small space by modifying the special mounting tray. It's got plenty of cranking power. The standard battery for the 4300 is only available as a lower rated unit, and I had been replacing those every couple of years, and I agree with you that you need relatively fast cranking speed. Thanks.

/ J Deere 4300 starting issue #10  
Could a bad thermistor cause intermittent problems like that? [/QUOTE said:
I believe the thermistor could be causing your problem. I have seen them fail or "get weak" and they don't send voltage to shut off solenoid long enough to engage it. Some oil gets behind the plunger in the solenoid and the thermistor has to hold voltage long enough to displace that oil. When temperatures are cold and oil is thick, it takes slightly longer for that to happen. The thermistor should send voltage to solenoid for around 2 seconds and if it is less than that, the plunger may not retract that fast with cold oil.