Float Position w/ 400 CX FEL and Snow Plow

/ Float Position w/ 400 CX FEL and Snow Plow #1  

Flyingscotsman57

Tractor
John Deere 4120
I have a twenty-series tractor with an 400CX FEL. My question is about the operation of the AF12 snow plow that attaches to this FEL. When I drop the plow in Float position, the plow seems to set backwards as BOTH hydraulics, lift and curl, are released/free. Is there a way to just float the lifting hydraulics with the curl/dump hydraulics locked. Seems like this would help with the vertical control of the plow blade. Any help appreciated. Got a mile of road to clear and I want to save the surface (lousy asphalt) as well as I can.

/ Float Position w/ 400 CX FEL and Snow Plow #2  
Float should only apply to the lift cylinders, not the curl. I wonder if you are just seeing some settling on the curl? Try tilting the blade forward a bit before you drop the boom.

/ Float Position w/ 400 CX FEL and Snow Plow #3  
There is no float position on the dump function. Something is not working correctly if the dump function floats.
Float is only on the loader lower function. To us it, you just push the joystick all of the way forward until it locks in that position.

/ Float Position w/ 400 CX FEL and Snow Plow
Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps it is just a certain amount of settling of the dump function. Just seems that when I do float the front-end with the plow on, there is quite a bit of movement in the curl direction. I'll take a closer look and perhaps tilt the plow a little forward before dropping. My main concern is that the skids are perfectly flat and not tearing up the road :/

/ Float Position w/ 400 CX FEL and Snow Plow #6  
Make sure the bucket level indicator is in the bend/notch position before you push the loader into float. Or, when the blade is on the ground adjust your curl to place the level indicator in the bent location.

AKfish

/ Float Position w/ 400 CX FEL and Snow Plow
OK, I was able to run up the hill and plow my road this weekend. This is what I found with my 400CX loader and the float position. When float is engaged, BOTH the lift and dump circuits are released. But at this point you can leave the lever in float and adjust the dump control to position in a fixed manner.

Does this sound correct? It works for me. :)

/ Float Position w/ 400 CX FEL and Snow Plow #8  
But at this point you can leave the lever in float and adjust the dump control to position in a fixed manner.

This sounds correct... when in float.
But the previous line
When float is engaged, BOTH the lift and dump circuits are released.
doesn't fit the last statement. Not sure what you mean by "released" but sounds like you can put the FEL arms in float and then use the curl function to get the desired position of the plow blade.

Glad you worked it out.