JD 445 Engine problems?

/ JD 445 Engine problems? #1  

Anonymous Poster

What is the group's opinion on the engine in the JD 445? I'm being offered a 1998 at an attractive price - but don't know what the reliability is like. It is listed on JD's web site as a "John Deere V-Twin".

Comments anyone?

/ JD 445 Engine problems? #2  
Dear John,

As I recall, that engine is an Electronic-Fuel-Injected gas engine. I'm not REAL familiar with it, but EFI engines usually work pretty well - they don't tend to be tinkerer's engines, that is they don't need a lot of adjusting like the old conventionally-aspirated engines with points & condensors.

However, having said that, any engine can prove to be a lemon! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

One suggestion is to buy it subject to inspection by a good mechanic that you know and trust.

Good Luck!

Dave Wells

/ JD 445 Engine problems? #3  
Have it checked out in great detail at a dealer (or ideally local mower expert)--part prices (any) for these things are out of this world imo. Still no gaurantee--go burned by a JD dealer doing just that. Told me what was wrong, bought it and then they tried to fix it numerous times. Then said it was something new on the 4th or 5th visit (trans leak). Put about $1000 in it and still wasn't completely fixed. JD corpoate told me to pound sand. Will never buy JD anything again. Enough railing.....if you get it, spend a couple hundred for complete inspection incl. compression check, and fluid lab analyis if you have the time. You won't be sorry. Note: They are supposed to be v. good machines in general--just can't make the lifetime ownership business case with the costs of their parts. Price a few things, small to large and you'll see what I mean. Good luck!

/ JD 445 Engine problems? #4  
John - My pops has a 425 with approx 65 hours and the thing runs great. No problems with it. A co-worker has a 445 with approx 400 hours and has had no problems either. I had a 455 (sold on this coming Saturday) and it also had no problems. I personally like JD and there parts are priced not to bad if you do some "web" searching. Don't let anyone scare you on prices on parts either! All tractors have some expensive parts.

The only thing is that the 425 and 445 tend to suck down the gas when under a load quick. That is one thing my father hates about it; however, that is the only thing he hates. The only thing you should have to do is drain collant every year along with Hyd oil, and drain engine oil twice a year or once if synthetics are used and tests okay.

The deere's keep running. The price of these items new are getting higher and higher!!

Thanks
Mike
Like I told my last ex-wife, I only drive as fast as I can see...and besides, It's all in the reflexes
-Jack Burton, Big Trouble in Little China

/ JD 445 Engine problems? #5  
I had a 445 before I traded it in for my 4100, it was a good machine. The 445 has a 22HP fuel injected OHV Kawasaki engine that runs great. I used my 445 with a snowblower in a very cold climate and never had any starting problems. Just be sure when starting it, you turn the key to the on position until the warning lights go out, then start the engine. This is to let the fuel pressure build up.

/ JD 445 Engine problems? #6  
John,
I bought a 445 new in 1995 and I have nearly 2000 hours on it at this point. It's used commercially in my landscaping business. Primarily I use it for mowing with the 60" deck and MC519 dump hopper. I also have the 54" front blade. The engine is quite a piece of technology! It is possibly the smoothest and quietest engine I have even run in a lawn tractor. It starts well in all kinds of weather. My camshaft gave out at 600hrs, but I suspect there was a defect in the gearing. I picked up the $400 bill, but that's been about the only major expense in the life of the machine. I've adjusted the valves once and it's just now coming due for new bearings on the mower deck. The hydraulic clutch is flawless as is the transmission. It's an extremely tough garden tractor, but I strongly discourage anyone from mounting a loader, etc. It's not built for compact tractor tasks. All in all...a great little tractor.

David W.