Quieting the 3320

/ Quieting the 3320 #1  

JD333

Tractor
JD 3320
Hello All,

I have owned a 3320 and 3520 and noticed that the 3320 exhaust (in my case anyway) is slightly louder than the 3520. I would attribute the difference in exhaust noise is due to the use of a turbo on the 3520 acting as somewhat of a muffling device. The 3320 is just annoying enough to warrant earplugs, where the 3520 can be operated up to 2000 RPM with no discomfort in noise level. Has anyone attempted to add additional muffling to their 3x20? I do want to fab a better down pipe for the exhaust to eliminate soot all over the frame, so it may be a good time to supplement with a small muffler as well. I am wondering if it would affect performance. Thoughts/suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Jake

/ Quieting the 3320 #2  
You must have open tractors. My 3520 with factory cab seems pretty quiet to me. Really no issue even talking on cell phone when operating. Also have a backhoe with it's own seat outside the cab; never thought it too loud but typically run backhoe at relatively lower RPMs. You might try the verticle exhaust; it might help to get some noise up & away from you plus it looks nice. If the sound is as loud as you say earplugs are a very good idea. Never thought much about hearing protection until I went through mine safety training. Now almost never run chain saw or riding lawn mower without ear plugs.

/ Quieting the 3320 #3  
JD333
You might try adding a resonator to the exhaust system similar to some older automobiles. Yes turbo's do quieten the exhaust noise level over non turbo'd engines.

/ Quieting the 3320 #4  
I'd wear ear plugs if I were you

/ Quieting the 3320 #5  
I'd wear ear plugs if I were you

X2 HEAR here..

My youngest son loves the 'whistle' in a turbo'ed engine. Me, I can't hear those high frequency sounds anymore...

AKfish