Where did this seal come from?

/ Where did this seal come from? #1  

FredSG

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4052R JD 4310, 825i Gator
Hello,

I was out snow blowing with my JD 4310 Utility Tractor when I noticed this seal seating on the ground. For the life of me can't determine where it belongs. Checked my parts catalog and my service manual, but there are too many similar seals like this one. How can I trouble shoot to figure out where it came from?

Anybody help . . . PLEASE!!!

FredSG

/ Where did this seal come from? #2  
It looks like it could be a grommet to protect wires or hoses from rubbing the metal where they go through a body panel

/ Where did this seal come from? #3  
Looks more like a seal than a grommet. You have any hydraulic cylinders that diameter?

/ Where did this seal come from? #4  
Fred,
I will look at my 4410 tomorrow and try to find something that looks like that. Since there doesn't appear to be any grease or oil on it, perhaps it's nothing vital.

/ Where did this seal come from?
Thanks guys, appreciate the responses. LoudonNH, look forward to anything you can offer. I was told to look at my front rims for a grease/oil leak, but nothing leaking as far as I can tell. Under the 4310 looked and looked but didn't find anything like a leak anywhere. Got to figure this out . . . more snow is in the forecast. Do I use it as is and run the risk of bigger problems?

On closer inspection found the following imprinted on the seal:

DMS476, 50007, MTP, Taiwan: Checked the JD Utility Tractor Parts catalog but came up empty.

FredSG

Last edited:
   / Where did this seal come from? #6  
Are you sure it's a seal? Looks pretty clean and rusty.

/ Where did this seal come from? #7  
One more thought.... maybe its not from the tractor at all? Anything else ever in that area?

/ Where did this seal come from? #8  
Here is my guess. I think it's a seal to keep dirt and water out and not oil in hence no oil leaking. If you look at where your front wheels turn horizontally on the front wheel assist housing you'll find where it I think it comes from. The part number is LVU25945 (number 33) and you should be able to find it on this page. John Deere - Parts Catalog The pictured seal looks like it's seen better days but it's a lot of work to replace it. I would shine up where it goes on the front axle and then just slip it back into place and hold it there with a zap strap. That will keep you going until you can get a new one. Before I would take the front end apart to replace it I would cut and stretch a new one enough to be able to glue it back together with windshield installation glue. I don't know what the stuff is called but my buddies use it all the time to repair their CV boots on their quads. If it can hold up to that then gluing this seal back together would be a piece of cake.

/ Where did this seal come from? #9  
I call those face seals.....used to keep dirt off the inner seal of a drive shaft or hydro-trans

Not sure where it would be on your JD

/ Where did this seal come from?
PMSMechanic,

BLESS YOU, BLESS YOU, thanks so much for the information. You are 100% correct. Found the page in the JD Catalog. Many, many thanks to you and everyone else who helped me with this problem.

FredSG