Lifespan of a newer Deere tractor - how long do you expect your tractor to last?

/ Lifespan of a newer Deere tractor - how long do you expect your tractor to last? #1  

Tenn_Blue

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 2320, Bobcat 322 mini-ex, Bobcat 763 skidsteer
Read several discussions in the "buying/Pricing" section about "Is xxx hours too many for a XXX tractor?" - Got me thinking, what IS the life expectancy of one of the modern Deere tractors?

WAYYY to many variables to answer that, I know, so maybe the better question is "How long do you expect your tractor to last?"

From reading here, MOST of us don't put enough hours on our machines to wear out the engines! With a 2000 to 5000 hour life (more?), that's many years use.

As far as wearing the thing out, I would think that secondary system replacement (pumps, tires, hoses, sheet metal, controls, etc) is more of a factor. At some point, the tractor becomes unreliable or starts to nickel-and-dime you. So you decide to replace it then. But again, that would be pretty far down the line most of the time - how many of us get to that point?

Changing need seems to be more common.... I have a small tractor (2320) that meets my needs at this point. Based on my use, I would expect it to chug along for 20 - 25 years or so before I "wear it out". But if I buy adjacent acreage/clear wooded sections/hay/etc, I need to get a bigger/second tractor. I really think that's more likely than me wearing this tractor out!

Or do you change because of newer/shiny/better? Even if what you have is fine. (Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want! - your money, your choice!!!)

Maintenance is an issue... I assume the middle of the bell curve. Most of us are not **** about our tractors, but we do take care of them more or less. Obviously, a tractor with 5 year old oil, lives outside, and gets no maintenance won't last as long as one that is immaculately cared for and lives in a climate controlled barn.

And there are lemons/badly designed models/freak failures/theft/etc that happen and we don't expect....

Seems like there are a lot of older, simple design, way overbuilt tractors out there that last, well, forever! Designs like the old Fords, the REALLY old Deeres, etc - pure simple mechanical systems that were not stressed and were built (in my opinion) for the long haul. Way different than our emission controlled, electronic brained, minimum material complex models of today! Are today's tractors built to last as long as the old ones were?

Wow! that was longer than I wanted! But anyway, How long do you expect to have your tractor and/or how long do you think it will last?

/ Lifespan of a newer Deere tractor - how long do you expect your tractor to last? #2  
Have to laugh when hearing some guys say they never rev the engine up to pto speed let alone redline because " they are making the "engine last". How does lugging make an engine and drive train last longer ?
The other biggie is the 1000rpm pto tractors with the 540rpm lugging at 54% of rated pto rpms while the operator thinks they are saving fuel.
Adding witchcraft lotions and potions to the crankcase and fuel tank is another.
Oil changes at 100hrs or 3000 miles is another, yup they are saving that engine. Yet instead of plugging in the block heater they will crank and crank until it hammers to life, sometimes with a snort of ether. Then they will idle, idle and idle to "warm up". Certainly adding hours of service life to that machine.

/ Lifespan of a newer Deere tractor - how long do you expect your tractor to last? #3  
I purchased my Kubota L4240 new in Jan.2009,currently has 870hrs.I average about 150hrs. or so a year.
This should be my last new tractor purchase.We did purchase a used open station tractor for use in the woods,it had about 1000hrs.on it when purchased.
My uses are snow clearing,brush-hogging and garden and food plot preparation.

/ Lifespan of a newer Deere tractor - how long do you expect your tractor to last? #4  
It'll last longer than I will, so what difference does it make! :cool: Oh, you were talking about a Deere..., in that case I can't comment.;)

/ Lifespan of a newer Deere tractor - how long do you expect your tractor to last? #5  
I also have a JD 2320 (2010 with 350 hours). At about 100 hours per year, I don't expect to ever "have" to replace it since I'm over 65.

/ Lifespan of a newer Deere tractor - how long do you expect your tractor to last? #6  
Sounds like you know it all .

/ Lifespan of a newer Deere tractor - how long do you expect your tractor to last?
Oldballs (nice name btw...) Why are you trolling in the Deere forum?!?!?!? - just kidding. I was originally gonna put this in the "general section" for all tractors, but I think you could make an argument between first tier manufacturers (yes, Kubota would be in that group - barely - smile), and some of the second/third tier builders. For example if you had a orphaned Farmall (no parts or support), or a Chinese clone tractor, would you expect the same life from it? Face it, you PAY for the DEERE/KABOTA name/reputation/build quality, so you expect more, right?

Kevin, were you were referring to me? I surely don't know it all - that's why I ask what YOU expect from YOUR tractor. I told you what I expect from mine! I'm just a few years into this country/tractor thing - I was a city boy up to a few years ago and am still learning about new stuff - and having a ball at it, I might add. Hope your day is great!

/ Lifespan of a newer Deere tractor - how long do you expect your tractor to last? #8  
Who makes tractors for JD??

/ Lifespan of a newer Deere tractor - how long do you expect your tractor to last? #9  
I just bought a 2032R and I only have about 20 hours on it so far. But my father-in-law has a 955 that he's used hard for a lot of years and he has over 10k hours on it. More recently, it's used almost exclusively to mow the (big) lawn, clear his drive, and run a 15kw PTO generator. But earlier in its life, he used it in the woods and for firewood sales and I know that he had to have the front wheel hubs rewelded a couple times because he broke them. Otherwise, he's never really done any work to it. The engine hasn't had a rebuild and none of the hydraulics have been replaced. The loader still functions great. It's even on the original tires, although they're getting very worn (especially the fronts).

/ Lifespan of a newer Deere tractor - how long do you expect your tractor to last? #10  
I just bought a 2032R and I only have about 20 hours on it so far. But my father-in-law has a 955 that he's used hard for a lot of years and he has over 10k hours on it. More recently, it's used almost exclusively to mow the (big) lawn, clear his drive, and run a 15kw PTO generator. But earlier in its life, he used it in the woods and for firewood sales and I know that he had to have the front wheel hubs rewelded a couple times because he broke them. Otherwise, he's never really done any work to it. The engine hasn't had a rebuild and none of the hydraulics have been replaced. The loader still functions great. It's even on the original tires, although they're getting very worn (especially the fronts).
I'm still trying to figure out how you can use a tractor hard and get 10,000 hours out of a set of tires ???