Cracked bell housing in a 2006 110TLB

/ Cracked bell housing in a 2006 110TLB #1  

hugho

Bronze Member
Tractor
2013 Kubota M6040 Cab model, 2010 Kubota L45, 1978 Allis Chalmers AC5050 4wd, 2010 Kubota 1100 side by side with snow plow
I went to look at a 226 110 TLB out of town today and went to this forum to see if any problems. I discovered cracked Bell Housings and the stratospheric repair costs but did not find the causes. Some people said they happened in the early models up to 2005. Some said it was a design flaw. Some said a manufacturing flaw like flawed castings. Some said loose bolts. I talked to a few JD service mgrs and they reflected what I read here. Some posts here said the bell housing was cast iron, some said cast steel. I know an ace welder who said welding cast iron especially if it is under stress is a waste of time and very difficult in any case. He said you can weld cast steel successfully. Are these bellhousing cast steel or iron?
Now back to my journey to Alpine WY. The model was a 2006 with under 1000 hours and belonged to a rental yard. Black mark #1. I crawled under to look at the repair and saw a 8-10" long weld bead running from the aft Loader support toward the backhoe. All bolts I saw looked tight. The welder used a high Ni content rod which cost over $100/lb. They did the welding on the tractor and did not pull the casting off. They V'd out the crack and filled it. Obviously they didn't weld it from inside . My question is: Is this an acceptable way to try to fix this problem? Is this Deere's fault? or the operator's fault? Is they any way to prevent this problem. Will it happen eventually to most 110's or just certain ones? Which ones? Is there a way to beef up the housing? Right now I am having second thoughts about these JD 110 TLB's and am thinking about fleeing from them like the plague perhaps toward those Orange tractors!! Any helpful advice would be appreciated, especially advice grounded in fact and reliable information and not grounded in brand loyalty and unsubstantiated opinion.

/ Cracked bell housing in a 2006 110TLB #2  
Sounds like you have enough doubt to back away from the 110TLB.

But I notice the titles of the similar threads (cracked bell housing) that appear at the bottom of this thread.
One is a Massey Ferguson, one a New Holland, one a Yanmar, one a Toolcat, and another New Holland.
So take your pick. ;)

/ Cracked bell housing in a 2006 110TLB #3  
There a post on the Kubota forum right now discussing a broken sub-frame on a L48 TLB. Haven't read it but I think you can find related problems wherever you look.

No problem with my '08 model but I don't use like I "rented it", either.

Best of luck with your search.

AKfish

/ Cracked bell housing in a 2006 110TLB
Thank you fellas. I appreciate the opinions and in general I agree that every make of car or tractor has its problems but some are more expensive to repair than others and if there is a way to prevent or abrogate the risk of a case fracture, I would like to find it. I did look at another 110 TLB and to my shock I found a faint almost invisible crack in the casing which the owner was completely unaware of.

Thank you akfish. I read the L48 post and it was not a structural failure. It was a hydro fracture from water migration into a closed tube and fracturing from freezing. Perhaps leaky welds, not an engineering failure.

While I was looking at the cracked bell housing on the 2006 JD110TLB which was just on one side incidentally, the thought occurred to me that perhaps it was torque that caused it, a twist to the frame perhaps from some cowboy who maybe worked it too hard with the bucket out perhaps. I phoned the owner and he said one rental guy managed to turn it over on its side probably by the outrigger diving into the soft mud. I just crawled under my Kubota 4850 and noticed an extremely heavy(about 1"thick) cross brace linking the frames . So I started to design a similar frame for another 110 I am looking at which has 2880 hours but no cracks. I also noticed that there is a whole network of steel hydraulic lines that are hanging out there in the open just ready to snag on a rock or tree limb and I think I could design a skid plate which might even double as a cross member frame brace. It looks to me that these Deeres should have had a skid plate from the factory. What do you boys think of this bright idea? I have a nice new lift in my garage which would make the job a lot easier.

/ Cracked bell housing in a 2006 110TLB #7  
Soon after I bought my 110, I ordered and installed the Skid Plate from G.M. Manufacturing (I had to order it through my JD dealer). The main reason I wanted the Skid Plate was to cover up the hydraulic lines and filters. I don't think the Skid Plate would help prevent a cracked bell housing.

110TLB Skid Plate 012.JPG 110TLB Skid Plate 019.JPG

704745 - Bottom Guard

/ Cracked bell housing in a 2006 110TLB #8  
Now that you have seen a few 110 tlb with the cracks. Can you post some photos so I would know where to look for the cracks

/ Cracked bell housing in a 2006 110TLB #9  
I know an ace welder who said welding cast iron especially if it is under stress is a waste of time and very difficult in any case. He said you can weld cast steel successfully. Are these bellhousing cast steel or iron?
I would be very, very, very, surprised if it were cast iron. I don't think that is done much these days.

cracked BH 100 JD.jpgI took quite a few pictures but it is a little hard to see. If I was good with deese compooter/phones I could put little red arrows. I will try to post a few however.

Last edited: