Moving Snow with a JD2520 / Opinions wanted

/ Moving Snow with a JD2520 / Opinions wanted #1  

spc

Tractor
John Deere 2520
I have a 2008 2520 that I use for plowing snow. My drive is 600 feet with 150 being asphalt and the remainder stone.

Currently I'm plowing this with a FEL and 4 foot 3 point hitch blade. I'm thinking its time to take it to the next level and I welcome your suggestions / opinions.

I believe my options are:

1. Stay with the FEL and upgrade to a 6 foot blade. This will help me to push the snow further off the drive but I'm still either pushing backwards (getting hard on the neck) or plowing forward and plowing over my tracks.

2. I was looking at Frontiers QA blade (AF11). I like the idea of being able to easily move between my bucket (which I use throughout the winter to move firewood) and the blade. Unfortunately, my JD dealer tells me that the blade should not be used on a 2000 series tractor.

3. The dealer is recommending the 54" blade that attaches to the tractor frame. Blade, mounting hardware and hydraulics is around $1400. While I like the idea of mounting to the frame and being able to move the blade with the hyrdraulics, I dont like the idea of losing the ability to have my bucket handy without reattaching the FEL frame. Also I see several comments in the forums from users of the 54" blade saying its really to small.

4. i found an aftermarket builder of a QA blade:

Quick Attach Plow for John Deere Front Loaders

but is it going to be like the Frontier, probably too heavy for the 2520 200CX? I've also seen comments about FEL arms being racked or broken by pushing with a front end attached blade.

5. Snowblower. The dealer quoted me around $3500 for a blower (54" i think). I think thats more than I need. My snowfall is usually 2-6 inches with an occasional 10-12.

So any thoughts? Anyone have the 54 Deere blade that likes it? Do you move between the blade and the FEL? How easy is it?

Or is anyone using a QA front blade on a 2520? Is it the Deere or another mfg? Do you like it? Any issues with racking or breaking your FEL arms?

Thanks

/ Moving Snow with a JD2520 / Opinions wanted #2  
I've also seen comments about FEL arms being racked or broken by pushing with a front end attached blade.
I too have seen lots of comments about how the FEL arms can be racked or broken with a front snow blade.
But I do not recall seeing posts where it actually happened.
I've been using a FEL mounted snow plow for years with no issues.
Just be sure your snow plow has trip springs when you hit something hard.

/ Moving Snow with a JD2520 / Opinions wanted #3  
What I'd suggest, since the FEL is a quick drop and quick attach anyway, would be to add a snowplow blade or the blower.
For wood, put a carry-all on the 3ph.

I made a quick attach frame mount for a Western plow blade. Takes about 20-25 minutes to switch it out for the FEL or visa-versa.

Attachments

• 100_1052 (Large).JPG
    100_1052 (Large).JPG
    177 KB · Views: 1,061
  • forkiMatch_ff.jpg
    forkiMatch_ff.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 372
   / Moving Snow with a JD2520 / Opinions wanted #4  
Given the weight of the AF11 and mounted forward on the FEL, I suspect you will have a problem steering when the plow is angled. I had a Honda 6522 4x4 with a 60" power angle blade - frame mounted and even mounted that way it was often a problem. The Honda would be a bit lighter than the 2520, but not a lot. I also have a 84" bucket for the 3320 and find steering, when using "float" to be a problem because of the weight.

Aside from the turning of the head, I'm finding a 60" bucket on the FEL and a rear snow blower to be quite effective.

/ Moving Snow with a JD2520 / Opinions wanted #5  
Do you have the quick attach front end loader? The one that takes about two minutes to detach, arms and all? If so then the change over to the frame attached blade is pretty quick. To detach the blade you put a bit of pressure down to take the weight off the pins. Then pull the pins and back out. Then unhook hydraulic hoses. Then there is a small pinned on mounting bracket to remove and you are done. I have the JD front snowblower. It is great, even in 2-6" snow falls. I just bought a 6' rear blade, and I can clear the drive quicker with the blower then the blade. Blower detaches just as quick as the blade, with the added step of removing the drive shaft.
I had the 54" frontier three point hitch blower. I hated backing up to clear the drive, and I am still young. It made my back and neck ache. Especially when it was cold out. Sure am glad I traded it in on the front blower.

Last edited:
   / Moving Snow with a JD2520 / Opinions wanted #6  
I picked up one of these blades from a guy up in Wisconsin while back.. Its 60" vs the 54" Deere blade and made two to three times as heavy.. Priced about the same as Deeres, and hooks right up to Deeres quick hitch.. They also make 66" versions too.. My 2305 handles the 60" fine. Waiting for another snow to give it a try on my 2520..

Anyone wants info on seller, PM me... Ill hook ya up!!

/ Moving Snow with a JD2520 / Opinions wanted #7  
I sold my Yamaha quad and now have a Mahindra 3016. I modified my 60" manual tilt quad blade to a skid steer qa plate on my loader. I use this along wth my box blade and I love it. It's nice because it extends out quite a bit and is good fo pushing snow over the bank without getting too close. I wouldn't want a frame mounted blade.

/ Moving Snow with a JD2520 / Opinions wanted
Thanks all for the comments so far. It seems that there is a wide variety of opinions and that is OK, everyone's equipment and situation is different. Some are using their FEL, some a snowblower, some a frame mounted front plow and some a FEL mounted front plow.

I'm leaning towards the FEL mounted plow. I understand the issue with steering when the blade is angled. Its just that I use my bucket and forks throughout the winter for other chores and having the ability to pull two pins and switch between attachments is hard to pass up. I'm more concerned about racking or breaking a FEL arm. Taking the whole FEL loader assembly off as suggested by Kevinwak isnt a bad idea (and then I would use the frame attached plow), however, it takes a level surface to take the assembly off without too much hassle and in the winter my level surface is the garage and that space is filled with cars.

It does bother me that Deere doesn't make a FEL attached plow solution for the 2520. According to my dealer, the AF11 is not recommended for the 2000 series CUT.

There are JDQA plows offered by other manufactures, like Extreme Metal Products but I'm having difficulty finding someone that is using a FEL plow specifically on a John Deere 2520.

/ Moving Snow with a JD2520 / Opinions wanted #9  
There is a good chance that the front end loader plow that frontier makes for the 3 series tractors would pin right onto the two series. I am pretty sure that the JD quick attach doesn't change size between the small tractors.

A coworker of mine modified his JD 54"
Snow blade to be front end loader mount. Unless you get huge wet snowfalls I think you could handle a 60" or 72" with no problem. Put tire chains on front and rear and you will no longer have the steering issue when the plow is angled.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet