Why??? PTO shuts off in reverse??

/ Why??? PTO shuts off in reverse??
I think this feature was added for 2013 model year. Just like the lawn tractors, there is a switch to pull to keep pto operating in reverse. The thing i really dislike about the feature is, it not only shuts off pto, it kills the engine as well.

Yes, this is true, it will kill the engine if you keep trying to reverse. If you let off quickly it only stops PTO from turning. Yes, frustrating to stop PTO back up throttle down and then re-engage PTO and re-throttle... I do worry about unnecessary wear. So, where is the switch or fuse or whatever to disable it??

Brad

/ Why??? PTO shuts off in reverse?? #12  
On the 1-series, there is an electric hall-effect device for use with front mounted implements that disables the RIO "feature". Pretty sure the 2 and 3 series are supposed to have this also.

You can check out this also https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pJQImLH5gzw

And: green tractor talk.com/forums/large-frame-compact-utility-tractors-lcut/8050-how-disable-reverse-implement-operation-jd-3720-a.html

(just put the http://www. in front and take out the extra spaces, TBN blocks GTT links like cuss words...)

/ Why??? PTO shuts off in reverse?? #13  
This has to relate to the MMM PTO which makes that SCUT an oversize lawn tractor. My (2013) 4105 only has a rear PTO and doesn't have this safety interlock RIO.

Of course, my D110 does have the RIO.

/ Why??? PTO shuts off in reverse?? #14  
This has to relate to the MMM PTO which makes that SCUT an oversize lawn tractor. My (2013) 4105 only has a rear PTO and doesn't have this safety interlock RIO.

Of course, my D110 does have the RIO.

First thing I did with my D130 was bypass the RIO. What a joke. What next rear view cameras on our lawn mowers. Proximity sensors.

/ Why??? PTO shuts off in reverse?? #15  
First thing I did with my D130 was bypass the RIO. What a joke. What next rear view cameras on our lawn mowers. Proximity sensors.

I would not be surprised to see proximity sensors on tractors and mowers before long.

/ Why??? PTO shuts off in reverse?? #16  
I need one of them every now and then.

/ Why??? PTO shuts off in reverse?? #17  
What JD110 said. My youngest had no brains and would forever slip out of the house and try to get a ride while I was cutting the lawn.

Last edited:
   / Why??? PTO shuts off in reverse?? #18  
My 2013 3032E does not do this when I'm running my brush hog, the PTO stays engaged when I push the reverse pedal. I don't have a mid PTO, maybe that is the difference.

/ Why??? PTO shuts off in reverse?? #19  
What JD110 said. My youngest had no brains and would forever slip out of the house and try to get a ride while I was cutting the lawn.

And I'd say he had no discipline... ;)
I'm from the old school, and if they tried it just once after being told, then they would get what was coming to them.
But that is just my opinion, worth little in this situation.

/ Why??? PTO shuts off in reverse?? #20  
That is exactly how my father trained us about safety!