Snow 4410 and moving allot of snow

/ 4410 and moving allot of snow #1  

kwahl

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320
I have reached my wits end adn realize that I need to get serious about moving snow. I have a 1800' driveway in WNY and my fel and Dodge ram are having a heck of a time.

I would appreciate information on the puma 74, using a JD 59 blower or any other blower, front or rear mount.

My JD dealer wants $3700 for the 59 and $279 fo rear chains, he said front chains void the warranty?

thanks,
Keith

/ 4410 and moving allot of snow #2  
Keith,

I have used a 59 snowblower on my JD 955 and it works great. Like any other snowblower, you have to be prepared to get some mist in the face and you will look like a snowman unless you have a cab of some sort. Most of us don't and just tough it out. The front mount has the advantage of allowing you to face straight ahead. It also mounts and dismounts in less than 5 minutes. Even if you feel the need to use your loader for some work it is no big deal to switch from one to the other.

My greatest concern with the blower is when operating close to buildings, other vehicles, or people since it does throw chunks of ice or frozen snow and gravel. You have to be alert on aiming the spout so as not to point it at something. Otherwise it is a great way to move a lot of snow.

The price you were quoted is less than list. I would use chains unless you have agricultural tires (R-1).

JackIL

/ 4410 and moving allot of snow #3  
The tire chains may hit the front of the tractor so the manual says. I bet Deere does not want the chain to fly off and strike the steering cylinder or part of the engine.

/ 4410 and moving allot of snow #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> The tire chains may hit the front of the tractor so the manual says. I bet Deere does not want the chain to fly off and strike the steering cylinder or part of the engine. </font> )</font>

I know JD does not recomend running tire chains on the front(why I do not know),but I have been using them on my JD 4400 and they have helped me a lot this winter.

/ 4410 and moving allot of snow #5  
What type of tire do you have now on your tractor?

/ 4410 and moving allot of snow #6  
I have the R-1 ag tires.
Before next winter I am going to make a set of the skidder chains for the front,with the center ring cleats.

/ 4410 and moving allot of snow #7  
I have a 790 and use a rear mount 60" Lucknow snow blower
on a similar long driveway. It does a nice job. I have also used a rear blade in the past. It is true that you get alot of snow on you w/ a blower, and they also pick up stones in the gravel areas. Generally I'm satisfied w/ it.

/ 4410 and moving allot of snow
Thanks for all the responses. I have checked out a PUma 74 with hydraulic rotation and deflection and it is $2500, much less than the JD 59 but I am still leaning towards the JD just because it would seem much more comfortable.

Any thoughts on where to get the front chains since JD does not recomened them? I have the R4 tires and I think they would benefit greatly from chains.

Thanks again, Keith

/ 4410 and moving allot of snow #10  
I have the tirechains.com 2 link chains on the front of my JD 4200. They were under $75. and work well with the 4 link chains I have on the rear.
Bill