QD couplings on JD 5083e

/ QD couplings on JD 5083e #11  
You will be just fine with these tips and that low of flow. There is many an auger in the field running 20gpm on an ag tractor with the same 1/2" tips you are using. Good luck

Last edited:
   / QD couplings on JD 5083e
You will be just fine with these tips and that low of flow. There is many an auger in the field running 20gpm on an ag tractor with the same 1/2" tips you are using. Good luck

Thanks.

I found out the thread on the valve port is M18x1.5, adapter for it: JD part# 38H5003

I think it is M18x1.5 Metric Male to #8 SAE/ORB Female (or M18x1.5 to 13/16-16 ORFS, #10 SAE/ORB?? Not sure)

It is strange why they installed metric Quick disconnects and run a hose with metric on one end, SAE on the other and adapter SAE back to metric.

Here are JD part numbers for anyone who wants to change the QDs to SAE:

RE60527 - SVC with M18x1.5 ports (plugs are RE46685)
T77857 O-ring for between the hose and the nipple (38H5003)
51M7043 O-ring for between the nipple and the valve
38H5003 - nipple M18x1.5 to #8 SAE/ORB or #10 SAE/ORB

You can install the discounthose adapter right into the valve (instead of 38H5003 above):

9335-18-08 | M18x1.5 Metric Male x #8 SAE/ORB Female

then you can do whatever hose, QD you want.

I think they should have installed #10 SAE/ORB everywhere, but that would be too easy to replace JD parts :) Evil JD!!!

/ QD couplings on JD 5083e #13  
Although metric couplers are fairly new to the Deere world (the last decade or so), metric threaded boss's in valve's etc have been around for a long time. We started using the
38h5076 (61m5076) adapter talked about earlier in this thread back in the 90's as a metric to sae adapter when comfortgard vintage tractors came out. I am glad that for the most part hoses, lines etc are still sae. It certainly makes replacement and repairs a lot easier. As finding other outlets for those can be daunting, where virtually any hose/hyd shop can fix you up w/ sae stuff. I should also point out the the 38h5003 is not an 18mm to #8 orb but 18mm to #8 flat face.

Thanks. #8 ORFS from adapter to QD.

Any ISO 5675 QD - #8 ORB female
Hose - #8 ORB male, #8 ORFS male
38h5003 - #8 ORFS female to M18x1.5 male

that should work, right? I want to replace all the JD metric BS.

Last edited:
   / QD couplings on JD 5083e #15  
Yes that would work. If I get an opportunity I will see if there is a parker or Deere # for a straight adapter to #8 orb but that won't be as common as metric to sae flat face is atleast in the Deere world.

/ QD couplings on JD 5083e #16  
No luck on male orb 18mm to #8 male orb. Found SU29027 for 22mm orb male to #8 male orb but not 18mm. If you are building a hose anyways flat face female hose ends will be more commonly stocked at hyd/hose shops then female #8 orb ends although they do exist just not as common imao.

No luck on male orb 18mm to #8 male orb. Found SU29027 for 22mm orb male to #8 male orb but not 18mm. If you are building a hose anyways flat face female hose ends will be more commonly stocked at hyd/hose shops then female #8 orb ends although they do exist just not as common imao.

Most common QD female thread is 3/4" NPTF. Maybe I should just go NPTF on the QD side and #8 ORFS on the adapter side.

/ QD couplings on JD 5083e #18  
You certainly can. Both hose ends will be common at the hose shop, you are not gaining anything flow wise as you are already smaller at the other end (3/4 measurement = #8 for npt btw). Pipe has never been my favorite fitting on late model machines as some form of sealing goop is usually used that hyd systems don't like if some of it gets into the system (tape specifically can be bad) but if you are carefull is not a concern. Just my opnion though, I usually try to stick w/ the orb, ff or jic connections, I just believe it is a cleaner setup. Once you are set up you probably wont be replacing a lot of couplers, they have a pretty good life for the most part.

You certainly can. Both hose ends will be common at the hose shop, you are not gaining anything flow wise as you are already smaller at the other end (3/4 measurement = #8 for npt btw). Pipe has never been my favorite fitting on late model machines as some form of sealing goop is usually used that hyd systems don't like if some of it gets into the system (tape specifically can be bad) but if you are carefull is not a concern. Just my opnion though, I usually try to stick w/ the orb, ff or jic connections, I just believe it is a cleaner setup. Once you are set up you probably wont be replacing a lot of couplers, they have a pretty good life for the most part.

Thanks. Are JICs better than ORB?

I'm going with
QDs 1/2" NPTF
1/2"NPTF to 5/8" JIC nipple

Hoses will be 5/8" JIC females and #8 ORBFS on the adapter side.

I can prepare QDs and JIC nipples in the vise and have JICs connections made at the tractor.

I'll bring two QDs to the front for FEL attachments (auger for now) and replace metric QDs at the back.

Not sure why it is number #8 ORBS at the adapter, it should be #10 not to restrict the flow. But I guess the M18 is already restricting the flow...

/ QD couplings on JD 5083e #20  
I agree, stay away from pipe threads. I consider them one time/limited use. The threads are designed to deform as they seal. They are not made for multiple thread /unthread cycles. Too many times taken apart and reassembled and they will leak.

ORFS are slightly better than JIC, but you will have to have O-rings on hand for repairs. Either are fine.