5065e fuel tank return line fitting leak?

/ 5065e fuel tank return line fitting leak? #1  

Rmd8136

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 5065e MFWD
On my 5065e, there is a fuel return line to tank bottom. it is in center of tank behind seat. It is a 90 deg elbow threaded into tank nozzle with a worm clamp compressing the plactic nozzle against the metal threads screwed into the nozzle. Also, the rubber fuel line is clamped onto the ferrule which is pointing down. I am getting a slight oozing of fuel out of both seals; the hose to ferrule and the ferrule to tank. I have tightened clamps as tight as I can get them. If I drain the tank does anyone have any experience with some sealant I could put on both connections? I was thinking Permatex Blue for oil, gas, etc? Any advice? Also these clamps are perforated from factory. I thought for rubber it shoul dbe non-perforated to not cut into rubber?

/ 5065e fuel tank return line fitting leak? #2  
Sounds like you already got a good solution mapped out. Solid hose clamps and a cushioning sealant. Only question might be that the sealant not breakdown and create debris in the tank later on.

AKfish

/ 5065e fuel tank return line fitting leak?
Got any recommedtions on sealant? The one I mentioned Permatex Blue says it is for oil, fuel lications.

/ 5065e fuel tank return line fitting leak? #4  
Sounds OK. Then, use sparingly in ferrules so it won't puke out all over.

AKfish

/ 5065e fuel tank return line fitting leak? #5  
If it turns out that the fitting on the tank is what is leaking- JB weld has a new product good for fuel,water etc.

/ 5065e fuel tank return line fitting leak? #6  
My fuel leaking problems on our 1000 hour 6000 series tractor didn't go away until I replaced ALL the lines with good quality rubber hose! Hated to do that as I hate non OEM stuff on a basically new machine. They had that fabric covered rubber type hose and I just don't know what the story was with that stuff!

My JD Furrow magazine announced that JD just built its millionth tractor (at Atlanta Georgia) but sometimes, you would think they started building tractors yesterday! For Shame!

Last edited:
   / 5065e fuel tank return line fitting leak? #7  
Same leaks with my 5520. Replaced all the fuel lines and it turned out my fitting was not leaking--just the lines. If it was, I'd look into the JB product. Any hose clamp will last a long time so don't worry about it.

/ 5065e fuel tank return line fitting leak? #8  
Any good thread sealant rated for petroleum use should work just fine.