Box Blade options for the 110 tlb

/ Box Blade options for the 110 tlb #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
I'm still in the process of evaluating what implements I actually need for the 110. I had a lot more implements than practical on the 3320.
I know a box blade is high on the list and I've been on the look out for a Gannon with hydro rippers for awhile.
I of course have had no luck finding one however, I happen to stop by my local dealer and to my surprise they had a demo Frontier bb4172H.
They're looking for $2600 for it but I was able to talk them down to $2400. I didn't really care for the pins that go in behind the ripper shanks but it was a nice blade otherwise plus it's made by Gannon.

While there I also priced the Woods BSM72 in black with the hinged rear gate. I was quoted $1500 for that unit which I felt was fair but they'd need to order it.
I'm planning on adding rear scv's since my 110 came without them. Was planning on using a fitrite kit to get rear scv's.

I was thinking on the previous Woods BB that I used on the 3320 and recall rarely using the scarifiers so I'm trying to justify the cost of the Frontier blade over the BSM. I was also torn on the size as my dealer said that the 72" is a good match for the 110 in our soil conditions. But I see the 110 with 84" frequently.
Am I really going to regret not getting the hydraulic unit?:confused3:

mATT

/ Box Blade options for the 110 tlb #2  
   / Box Blade options for the 110 tlb #3  
The problem I see with the 4172 is it is too light. At about 850 lbs. it does not provide enough ballast for the 110 loader. I have a Frontier BB1284 and it is 1259 lbs. Since the rear tires are not loaded on the 110 tlb you need the larger box blade. IIRC Deere recommends a rear implement of 1250 lbs or the backhoe for maximum fel capacity.

All that said above the BB1284 has been a great box blade for me and I use mine a lot. Most of the time I use it with the 4520 because I prefer to keep the backhoe in place on the 110 for convenience. The 110 handles the box well and that is what I used for four years before getting the 4520.

/ Box Blade options for the 110 tlb #4  
Matt, I wanna think that I've seen several of the yellow, Gannon boxes on MachineFinder in the recent past. Granted, they might have been a little off the beaten path for you - but, then again they might not have been that big a hike down the road.

I'm just gonna call it the way things have worked out for me over the years... Get what you think will do the best job for you - period! When I've lowered the bar down a couple of rungs and settled.. I've regretted it. And, in typical fashion; I kept after it until I got what I should have done in the first place.

Good luck.

AKfish

/ Box Blade options for the 110 tlb #5  
Matt, I wanna think that I've seen several of the yellow, Gannon boxes on MachineFinder in the recent past. Granted, they might have been a little off the beaten path for you - but, then again they might not have been that big a hike down the road.

I'm just gonna call it the way things have worked out for me over the years... Get what you think will do the best job for you - period! When I've lowered the bar down a couple of rungs and settled.. I've regretted it. And, in typical fashion; I kept after it until I got what I should have done in the first place.

Good luck.

AKfish

I agree with the above, buy it right the first time. Better to get the right tool is more important than whether it is new or used. I have seen several used box blades that would work, have to keep an eye out and jump on it when it comes up.

/ Box Blade options for the 110 tlb
The problem I see with the 4172 is it is too light. At about 850 lbs. it does not provide enough ballast for the 110 loader. I have a Frontier BB1284 and it is 1259 lbs. Since the rear tires are not loaded on the 110 tlb you need the larger box blade. IIRC Deere recommends a rear implement of 1250 lbs or the backhoe for maximum fel capacity.

All that said above the BB1284 has been a great box blade for me and I use mine a lot. Most of the time I use it with the 4520 because I prefer to keep the backhoe in place on the 110 for convenience. The 110 handles the box well and that is what I used for four years before getting the 4520.

It appears I should be looking in the 42 series rather than the 41 based on weight. I'll be honest that I'm concerned the 84 may be too much for the rocky New England soil but also trust the experience here. I've been looking long and hard for used units but the shipping cost usually puts them close to new price wise. And although I do frequently use my blade on the 3320 I'm not sure I'll use $4k worth of blade either.

Matt

/ Box Blade options for the 110 tlb #7  
It appears I should be looking in the 42 series rather than the 41 based on weight. I'll be honest that I'm concerned the 84 may be too much for the rocky New England soil but also trust the experience here. I've been looking long and hard for used units but the shipping cost usually puts them close to new price wise. And although I do frequently use my blade on the 3320 I'm not sure I'll use $4k worth of blade either.

Matt

Matt, I'm still waiting for the weather to sort itself out to use it, but I purchased a BB4284 for use with my CAT2 quick hitch on my Kioti NX6010 this winter. When I do use it, I plan to do a video and a review. You can read about my own box blade odyssey on this thread.

/ Box Blade options for the 110 tlb #8  
A couple of years ago, I had a couple of small pastures that had winter killed real bad. Decided that I should turn everything black and start over. Well, they were pretty well sodded in... Tried to rototill 'em and the tiller was bouncin' this way and that way! I figured the tiller was likely to break down before I could get things smoothed out.

Plan B was rip the sod first (I didn't own a disc harrow then) with a Landpride ripper I found. That didn't work out very well, either. Kept plugging up and I couldn't lift the thing with the 3pt fast enough to keep the shanks from spinning the tractor out.

Long story short, I borrowed a box blade and dropped every other shank to open up the spaces for the sod to pass. It still was a trick to keep the shanks from digging too deep, but I got the hang of using the hyd top cylinder and finally got the fields ripped enough to make rototilling eazy-peazy.

Since then, I figured that a hyd ripper setup with the Gannon box would be the cat's jammies for reworking a lawn, small pasture or small hayfield.

AKfish

Matt, I'm still waiting for the weather to sort itself out to use it, but I purchased a BB4284 for use with my CAT2 quick hitch on my Kioti NX6010 this winter. When I do use it, I plan to do a video and a review. You can read about my own box blade odyssey on this thread.

Eric, I actually did read your odyssey thread. If the 4284 can hold up to your uses, I'm quite sure it'll be find for my own.:laughing:

A couple of years ago, I had a couple of small pastures that had winter killed real bad. Decided that I should turn everything black and start over. Well, they were pretty well sodded in... Tried to rototill 'em and the tiller was bouncin' this way and that way! I figured the tiller was likely to break down before I could get things smoothed out.

Plan B was rip the sod first (I didn't own a disc harrow then) with a Landpride ripper I found. That didn't work out very well, either. Kept plugging up and I couldn't lift the thing with the 3pt fast enough to keep the shanks from spinning the tractor out.

Long story short, I borrowed a box blade and dropped every other shank to open up the spaces for the sod to pass. It still was a trick to keep the shanks from digging too deep, but I got the hang of using the hyd top cylinder and finally got the fields ripped enough to make rototilling eazy-peazy.

Since then, I figured that a hyd ripper setup with the Gannon box would be the cat's jammies for reworking a lawn, small pasture or small hayfield.

AKfish

I actually used my previous blade for spreading crushed stone on the driveway mostly. It was also helpful when clearing virgin ground.
I'm just not sure I'll get 4k worth of usefulness out of it. I just need to find the right used Gannon and jump on it as has been suggested here.

Additionally is anyone using the 84" blade in rocky dense soil?

Matt