Cool Gard II in 07 4320?

/ Cool Gard II in 07 4320? #1  

Tinman2

Tractor
John Deere 4320
I bought a 07 4320 with cab about 18 months ago with 100 hours on it. Great little mule. After 8 years, I new it needed fresh coolant so I looked into it a little and went with JD coolgard II premix. I was going to use zerex g-05 b/o that is what is in all my other diesel (2 Dodge/Cummins, generator and Jeep LIberty CRD). But Coolgard apparently has better protection from cavitation and it was about same price so I stuck with JD parts. Owner's manual says it holds 2.2 gallons. So I followed the manual to letter. Drained, fill with distilled water, run to op temp, drained, and refill with fresh coolant. However, on flush and refill, it only took about 1.9 gallons. I guess there is a little old coolant and water in there. My question: Is the old stuff Coolgard or something else that might might not be compatible. What came out was bright green just like old fashion antifreeze, the new coolgard was yellow (kinda like Zerex). Just want to double check, this thing has to last a long time. Thx.

/ Cool Gard II in 07 4320? #2  
If you have the cab model then the heater core is in the roof. I always pinch off the heater lines in and out (actually up and down), when I do any thing with the cooling system. And I have done a lot with the cooling system, seriously. Now it maybe that the heater core is not filled / charged up now. Do you have heat in the cab? It may take several heat cycles for the system to fully charge by cycling hot to cold when it creates a vacuum. I think at the factory they pump the coolant in thru the connector on the right side of the cab next to the FEL mount. Garden hose connector. I use the cool guard JD coolant pre mixed. I gave up on mixing coolant years ago. On my Gator when I installed the heater, the instructions we to lower the heater assembly below the height of the radiator, fill radiator with coolant and then finish installing the heater in the dash. Hopefully you will not need to do something like this. I have the service CD for the 4320 so if I get time I will look up the proper procedure and let you know unless somebody already knows. Later.

/ Cool Gard II in 07 4320? #3  
The Coolgard and Coolgard II are compatible, so no worries there. The only thing Deere tells us is if they are mixed, you should still abide by the old coolant change interval instead of the longer interval for Coolgard II. Like oldtimer says, you may still have some air in heater or in some other part of cooling system, so be sure to check level frequently for the first few hours you run it. If you do have a cab, heater circuit may need to bled out to get coolant to flow up to heater core again.

/ Cool Gard II in 07 4320? #4  
Just a follow up. The maintenance CD does not have any information on how to fill the coolant system, as it pertains to a cab tractor. Just some general notes about bleeding the engine at the temperature sensor for a normal coolant fill. Later.

/ Cool Gard II in 07 4320?
It does have a cab. I opened the hose to the heater core from the "garden hose" type fitting when draining and flushing. When I ran it to operating temp to circulate, I had the heater on full. Since my first post I used the tractor a bit and I was able to add to a total of an even 2 gallons. That should do it. I will probably lose just bit of cold protection from the .2 gallons of distilled flush still in the system. But it shouldn't matter here in Georgia.