John Deere 5520 hour meter

/ John Deere 5520 hour meter #1  

maddenfarms

Tractor
9000 kubota, 5520 john deere, 5030 allis
I just serviced my JD 5520, looked to put the hours down and discovered that my hour meter no longer is working. I checked for loose wires and all fuses are good. Has anyone else had this problem? :anyone:

/ John Deere 5520 hour meter #2  
:welcome:
Possible faulty tachometer sender on LH frt of engine or loose wire.

Attachments

• CD41412________UN19FEB97.gif
    CD41412________UN19FEB97.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 343
   / John Deere 5520 hour meter
Thanks Jim, I'll check the wire. Is there a way to test the unit before I buy a new one?

/ John Deere 5520 hour meter #4  
They can be tested with a VOM but I don't know the correct ohm's.

Thanks again Jim, I'll do some more digging.

/ John Deere 5520 hour meter #6  
I hope this might work, the meter on the 5420 has been out for over a year or 2.

Thanks!

/ John Deere 5520 hour meter #7  
The attached picture and following write-up is from the 5X10 tech manual. I think this should close if not the same for the 5X20. I do not believe the speed sensor is the problem. I suggest looking at the alternator/regulator or the wiring from it to the cluster.

Current flows from battery (A), across closed contacts or key switch (D) and out circuit 022. Flow continues through 10-amp fuse (E) to circuit 072 and to alternator/regulator (G) hourmeter positive side. Negative side of hourmeter (F) connects to ground through circuit 010. Hourmeter runs whenever engine is running.

Should one want to check the speed sensor note it is AC and not DC.

Attachments

• hour_meter.pdf
    74.6 KB · Views: 375
Thank you for the diagram, I'll take it to the shop and see if I can figure it out.