Mowing Mowing speed for JD 2210 with 54c belly mower

/ Mowing speed for JD 2210 with 54c belly mower #1  

nfernandez

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2210
I have a JD 2210 with 54c belly mower and I'm wondering what a good speed to mow at is? I don't know the type of grass, but I keep it about 3-4 inches long and live in Michigan. Any tips on speed would be great. I currently mow in low gear at roughly half speed.

/ Mowing speed for JD 2210 with 54c belly mower #2  
I have a JD 2210 with 54c belly mower and I'm wondering what a good speed to mow at is? I don't know the type of grass, but I keep it about 3-4 inches long and live in Michigan. Any tips on speed would be great. I currently mow in low gear at roughly half speed.

It depends on the grass that day. Moist, dry, sparse or thick. Speed up until the quality of your cut declines. The grass will let you know how fast you can go.

/ Mowing speed for JD 2210 with 54c belly mower #3  
As Citydude says.. the speed will be dictated by the quality of cut that you want, the condition of the grass, the cleanliness of the deck underside, the sharpness of the blades, and then the speed you go.

So mowing speed isn't something that is written down. Like driving, must be a speed prudent for the conditions..

/ Mowing speed for JD 2210 with 54c belly mower #4  
Wen we had our Kubota 2200 with 60MMM (it is similar to yours )and we mow mostly wide open. We cut the grass at 2.25", it is centipede grass in the yard and field grass ever where else. My idea is mow wide open and when the motor loads up slow down, and keep those blades sharp.

/ Mowing speed for JD 2210 with 54c belly mower #5  
In my experience the smoothness of the lawn can be a limiting factor. If the tractor is bouncing all over it is not a comfortable ride, plus the mower deck is also going to bounce a certain amount, resulting in a poor cut. All other things being equal, my tractor seems to find an equilibrium speed in the + or- 5mph range.

/ Mowing speed for JD 2210 with 54c belly mower #6  
I guess it goes without saying that you want the engine running at least at full PTO speed. I have a 62d on my 2320 and I always mow in high except for one steep (4WD) hill. I run as fast as I can without getting thrown off the tractor. I have a lot of rough ground but on smoother sections, I can run about at max speed without the cut suffering noticeably. That would be 11 to 12 mph on my machine.