4310 blows light fuse

/ 4310 blows light fuse #1  

Mike_ONeill

Tractor
JD 4310
My John Deere 4310 blows the light fuse sometimes when either the 4-way flasher is used, or the turn signal (either direction.) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It doesn't happen if just the lights are on, without the flasher or turn signal.

It happens at random intervals of time. I once let the flashers run for an hour or so, then the fuse blew a few minutes later. Other times, it will blow within seconds of putting on the flashers. It's a 30 amp fuse. I even tried some 25 amp fuses. They didn't blow any quicker, but would work for a while, then blow out.

I had the dealer check this when the tractor was in for the hydro recall. They said they spent several hours on the fuse problem but couldn't make it blow or find anything wrong.

The fact that the turn signal blows the fuse regardless of which direction it is turned, suggests that the problem is not in the bulbs or the wiring to the bulbs.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

/ 4310 blows light fuse #2  
I am skeptical that your dealer spent "several hours" trying to fix this problem...if a 25 amp fuse doesn't blow any quicker than the required 30 amp one, it's unlikely the circuit is overloaded. IMO, there is a short somewhere in the wiring.
As I don't have a wiring diagram I am unsure what else is on the circuit. How many hours do you have on the tractor, and do you have any aftermarket electrical add-ons?

Another thought---try replacing the signal flasher with a new one, it could be defective.

/ 4310 blows light fuse #3  
The fact that sometimes it blows right away and sometimes after a long period pretty much says you have an intermittent short somewhere. Probably a bare, frayed, or pinched wire somewhere that sometimes touches a ground source. You will probably need a wiring diagram to see what part of the circuit is common to both turn/flasher lamps and then trace out that wiring.

/ 4310 blows light fuse #4  
This makes a lot of sense... I had to unmount one of the signal lights attached to ROPS of my 4110 this summer because when I mow close to the trees those signal lights often end up caught in branches. Anyway I wanted to see if I could detach the lights and them reassembled them inside the ROPS instead of outside. When I did this I found a pinched wire between to ROPS and the plastic casing of the light. So this could be the source of the problem!

Hyp3rnix