855 60" deck

/ 855 60" deck #1  

99S10

Tractor
94 John Deere 855
Hoping for a quick answer. I'm heading out to pick up an 855 in an hour. The guy has a 60" deck that needs work, pulleys are rusted for one. He claims that's all it needs and some paint. I didn't really want it but he says he'll leave it on for $100. Is it worth rebuilding?
Thanks for all the answers I've been getting here.

/ 855 60" deck #2  
If the deck steel isn't rusted through, then it is worth rebuilding.

Or if you don't want it, then don't pay $100 for it. ;)

/ 855 60" deck #3  
I'd certainly take it. Assuming the actual deck is solid, you can resell it for more.

/ 855 60" deck
I ended up taking it. It's rust pitted pretty bad on a top section where grass probably laid and it sat outside. That's what also rusted the pulleys. The underside actually looks pretty good. I beat on it with a pick hammer and it still seems solid. I don't know if I'll try to save it or not. The belt gaurds are missing. But it has all the mounting brackets/links, PTO shaft etc so I hated not to take it for 100 bucks. I figure I could always re-sell it, part it or maybe I run across a deck missing the mounting stuff.

/ 855 60" deck #5  
I leave the belt guards off on purpose so after each mowing any grass can be blown off with the air hose before putting the rig away.
With the guards on, no way to keep the area clean around the pulley's (sheaves) and belts.
Hope you get some use out of the deck, or fix it up and get some money for it.

/ 855 60" deck
I was talking to my buddy this morning and he said the exact same thing. I'm going to price the stuff to fix it up. Any source for pulleys other than JD? I'm guessing they are much the same for different decks.

/ 855 60" deck #7  
I leave mine off too. I started a fire under there once with them on. If you got off the mower the deck stops anyways.

/ 855 60" deck #8  
Any source for pulleys other than JD?

About $50 each for the sheaves. Think you can beat that?

/ 855 60" deck #9  
I leave mine off too. I started a fire under there once with them on. If you got off the mower the deck stops anyways.

That is, of course, unless the switches don't work. Previous owner of my machine apparently bypassed them or something and the trading dealer didn't bother to fix the matter before selling it to me. I don't really care, I automatically shut off the deck prior to dismount anyway. Then again, I use a 3pt dismount method too. :D

/ 855 60" deck #10  
I'm used to the deck shut off, I'm still not used to the neutral shutoff these 2520's have. If you don't put it in neutral it will die when you jump off. My 855 didn't do that.