3520 Axle Seal

/ 3520 Axle Seal #1  

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3520
I have a 3520 with a leaking axle seal on the front. I was hoping someone has done this repair and could tell me how difficult it is. Do I need a press to separate the hub from the drive gear or can it be driven out. I am capable of doing this repair but I don't have a press in my shop yet. I am just getting it set up. I can take it and have it pressed out if need be. My dealer can't look at it for at least 3 weeks, and I don't want to wait that long. Thanks

/ 3520 Axle Seal #2  
Read up on the "similar" threads that show up at the bottom. Have been several threads on the front axle seal.
I solved mine (for the last several years) by cracking open the "dip stick plug" so the pressure cannot build when the oil heats up. Others have mentioned doing the same.

/ 3520 Axle Seal
Thanks for the information. Do you remove the plug completely or just loosen it up slightly. I think I will power wash it and try your fix to see if it helps.

/ 3520 Axle Seal #4  
I just leave it in, but cracked/loosened a bit. Some oil may surround that plug area and mix with dust, but little to none coming out the seal at the hub.
This "fix" may not be satisfactory for you in the long run. Time will tell.
One member reported fashioning a "vent" with more elaborate tube, etc. but I didn't want more stuff added to that area due to brush hogging, logging, etc.