JD 855 MFWD Problems

/ JD 855 MFWD Problems #1  

MPN

Tractor
1988 JD 855 heated cab
on My 1988 JD 855 with MFWD, a bearing in the front spindle let go and wore out the spindle case, I called the local JD dealer to order all parts. They say I need a Serial # off of the front axle, I can not find it any body know where this is, it has problably fallen off. There has been a change up in the spindles and if I don't have the updated one I need to replace both sides as well as additional parts this will cost approx. $1500 cdn. if I already have the change up it will cost $316 cdn. Any help on this matter will be appreciated.

/ JD 855 MFWD Problems #2  
I would think that the dealer should be able to tell by the tractor serial number what spindles it was built with. If they were all built with the old style look for signs of prior repair to your axle, if none your tractor was probably not updated. Would a picture of what you have help the dealer order the correct parts? There has got to be something different that should tell a competent dealer what you have.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ JD 855 MFWD Problems #3  
With the year the dealer should be able to tell where the serial break is because when I work parts sometimes it will tell the years the serial numbers fall under. I don't believe the front axles have serial number plates so just give him your main tractor serial number to see where yours falls. The normal serial number plate should be at the back by the rear PTO shaft or on the side of the chassis.

/ JD 855 MFWD Problems
Nick, I gave the dealer the tractor serial # and it does have a axle serial # that is what is required My tag is missing. in the parts illustration it asks for a axle serial # for that paticular part. Thanks

/ JD 855 MFWD Problems #5  
see if this helps you..
+(MFWD AXLE SERIAL NUMBER IS ON BACKSIDE OF MFWD AXLE ON RIGHT HAND SIDE. SERIAL NUMBER IS HAND STAMPED IN CASTING BELOW AXLE PIVOT STOP.)+ 655, 856, 855, 756, 755