JD 2955 Hood Latch

/ JD 2955 Hood Latch #1  

axeman79

Tractor
John Deere 2955
I'm looking for some advice on opening a 2955 hood. The operator's manual says that I should be able to remove the side screens and find a rubber latch (with ball) that will release the hood. It claims the hood can be opened without tools. My tractor had no such latches. The only thing I can figure that is holding the hood down are two nuts that hold the hood to the front plate. There is 1/4" rubber insulation between the hood and front plate and a narrow spot on each side of the hood where the nuts can be seen. I am assuming that I can turn the nuts and release the hood. I'm not sure if I will need to partially turn the nut to get a release or turn it completely off.

Hood Nut.JPG

I've tried to attach a picture of the nut and bolt from the 2955 Parts Manual. The nut is part #11.

Is there someone here that has experience with this type of arrangement? Any advice regarding releasing the hood?

Chuck

/ JD 2955 Hood Latch #2  
#11 is a guide should be 2 (I believe square buttons) one on each side just in front and under #11

/ JD 2955 Hood Latch #3  
There were two styles of hood latches on the 55 series utility tractors. The later ones had the rubber latches you mentioned. The earlier ones had a push button latch as whis mentioned, although there is only one push button. It is on the left side just under the hood in front of the screen. If the front of the tractor has been bashed in or dented, that style latch often does not work well.

/ JD 2955 Hood Latch #4  
This is both styles of hood latch I found for 2955. It had this serial number on rubber strap style < sn 664559.

HTH's.Jim

Attachments

• L117852________UN01JAN94.gif
    L117852________UN01JAN94.gif
    20.5 KB · Views: 576
  • LX029515_______UN04APR02.gif
    LX029515_______UN04APR02.gif
    32.5 KB · Views: 481
   / JD 2955 Hood Latch
Thanks all. This answered the question. I do have a 2" x 2" push button on the front, left side. My tractor's sheet metal is in perfect shape so the button should work...likely just stiff.

Now I know what I'm looking for, thus proving, once again the great value of this forum.

Chuck