My wife thinks I am a bit over the top in my John Deere maintenance.

/ My wife thinks I am a bit over the top in my John Deere maintenance. #1  

JD 970

Tractor
John Deere 970
Hi Gang,

My new MX5 was delivered last Friday and I cut our pasture with it on Saturday. First time ever using a bush hog and I found it did a wonderful job. Our pasture looks great.

After I finished using it (logged about 3 hours on it), I brought it back to my driveway and proceed to blow off the tractor and MX5 with a leaf blower and then I washed both the tractor and MX5. After washing, I proceed to put a coat of wax on the MX5. As I was doing so, my wife came out and asked what I was doing. When I told her I was in the process of waxing the MX5, she looked at me as if I was insane, rolled her eyes, smiled, and went back into the house.

I don't know how many of you are like me, but I can't put tools away dirty. Ever. When I finish using a tool, I clean it and put it away; whether the tool be a Craftsman wrench or a John Deere tractor or MX5. I think there are a number of reasons for this. First, I grew up in a family that did not have much money. When we bought something, we needed it to last so we took care of it. As I grew older and started collecting my own tools, I found that I despised two things: 1) Working with dirty tools and 2), working on dirty equipment.

I suspect I am a bit OCD about this. I look at some of the pictures of tractors on this forum and cringe when I see the poorly maintained equipment.

On a side note, I checked the MX5 out before I used it and found everything to be in working order except for one loose bolt holding on the trailing edge trim/chain guard. I added grease to the tailwheel (2 locations) and checked the oil in the gearbox: it was slightly over full, but not enough to cause a problem.

I just received a call from my local John Deere dealership and my H165 loader is in and ready to be installed. They will be coming over to pick up my tractor in an hour or so. When it comes back, I will wax the loader and grease all of the fittings... I can't help it... :D

Joe

/ My wife thinks I am a bit over the top in my John Deere maintenance. #2  
Keeping the equipment clean is not OCD. Good time for inspections while you clean it too. Waxing makes cleaning a little easier and does not hurt the looks and resale value either.

Dirty tools just don't work right.

/ My wife thinks I am a bit over the top in my John Deere maintenance. #3  
The waxing does seem a little over the top. It's when you are unwilling to use something for fear of making it dirty you have a problem. Did you wax the under side of the MX5? Are you going to wax inside the bucket of the new loader?

/ My wife thinks I am a bit over the top in my John Deere maintenance. #4  
My mom used to tell us " just because we're poor, doesn't mean we can't keep things clean". That stuck with me. I hate driving dusty cars let alone muddy ones. That goes for my tractor and implements as well. While stopped at a truck stop for fuel with my tractor on the trailer, a person came over and inquired about me mowing some of his fields as he just can't find the time to do it. One comment he made was that he liked my new equipment. He was amazed it was a 2008 L3400 and mower.

/ My wife thinks I am a bit over the top in my John Deere maintenance.
Definitely do not mind getting my equipment dirty. No wax under the MX5 and no wax on the bucket of the new loader. I also did not wax the underside of my 970, but I fleetingly thought about it :D

The waxing does seem a little over the top. It's when you are unwilling to use something for fear of making it dirty you have a problem. Did you wax the under side of the MX5? Are you going to wax inside the bucket of the new loader?

/ My wife thinks I am a bit over the top in my John Deere maintenance. #6  
I was out cleaning the M5700 as it was quite dirty from over the winter . My wife opened the window and said, " does everyone clean their tractor like you do " ? I don't like a dirty tractor either, but don't mind if they get that way while doing what tractors do .

/ My wife thinks I am a bit over the top in my John Deere maintenance. #7  
A few years , when I had some spare time, I waxed my 2320 - once. Don't worry about it. Either you will get too busy or she will learn to ignore it.

/ My wife thinks I am a bit over the top in my John Deere maintenance. #8  
I'm just the opposite, my 7 year old 3320 has never been washed or waxed, it just gets the air hose treatment to blow the worst of the dirt and dust off. Same with my X739 garden tractor.

I do wash my truck occasionally (maybe twice a year tops) to get the winter crud and tree pollen off in the spring, have never waxed it since new.

/ My wife thinks I am a bit over the top in my John Deere maintenance. #9  
I wouldn't consider a dirty piece of equipment "poorly maintained". I only wash my equipment if I get it stuck. I have never waxed anything. Currently my backhoe looks like this.

image-2857924486.jpg

image-1066128661.jpg

/ My wife thinks I am a bit over the top in my John Deere maintenance. #10  
I'll have to say I have not waxed my rotary brush hog, but I always blow it off when I put it away dry.

I do wax my JD 4300. Many people comment on my new tractor. When I tell them it is a '98, they don't think it could be true.
I don't wash my tractors often, but do on occasion and like how they shine. I do it mainly for myself. I like the shine.

Often after washing, will spray Pledge on for polish and wipe it down with a dry cloth.