MX8 on a 4720

/ MX8 on a 4720 #1  

leebritt

Tractor
none
Will a 4720 with Cab and loader handle an MX 8 in some moderate hills? Mostly pretty level but some hills to mow at times. Thanks!

Lee

/ MX8 on a 4720 #2  
I wouldn't do it. The power is there, but the mx8 is too heavy for it IMO. I think it is a CAT 2 implement.
Don't get me wrong, I think you could do it if you were careful, but I think an MX6 is the right size for the 4720

/ MX8 on a 4720
That's what I was thinking. I've got an Mx6 but had a chance at a good price in an 8 so thought I'd check. What about an MX7? No need to upgrade from a 6?

/ MX8 on a 4720 #4  
I would consider the MX8, since it is two feet shorter front to back than the MX6. Deere does rate the 4x20 series to be compatible with the MX8. How old is your MX6 and which gear box do you have? If it has the gear box from Spain I would trade in a heartbeat.

/ MX8 on a 4720
How can you tell what gear box it has? It's about 7-8 years old. I got it used.

/ MX8 on a 4720 #6  

I have heard that the reliable way to tell if they are the good ones, is that it will be a castle nut holding the stump jumper on. I think the China made ones are the good ones (oddly enough). I bought mine new in 2011 I believe and it has the castle nut. They have a 5 year warranty on the gearbox.
Steve has a good point about the MX8 being a dual spindle, and therefore shorter than the MX6.

/ MX8 on a 4720 #7  

The one I had was a 2005 model with the problem gearbox (shaft really) it has made in Spain cast on the top edge of the gearbox. Some models were made in Mexico, don't know how good these are. The newest ones with a new design are made in China and have the 5 year warranty, supposed to be much better.

/ MX8 on a 4720 #8  
Will a 4720 with Cab and loader handle an MX 8 in some moderate hills? Mostly pretty level but some hills to mow at times. Thanks!

Lee
I have a 4320 with FEL and 6 ft Frontier rotary cutter. Like you, I mow on some hills and I can't imagine going up much of a hill/grade with an MX8 rotary cutter due to the weight on the rear. With my much lighter weight cutter, the front wheels will just barely steer the rig going up a hill and that is with FEL and loaded front R4 tires. These comments are for 3pt hitch attach.

/ MX8 on a 4720 #9  
I would go MX8 before MX7. I would rather have two 4' cutters paired for 8' than one 7' cutter behind that tractor.

/ MX8 on a 4720 #10  
You did not say which version you are considering; 3pt, semi mounted, or pull.