Starting JD 650

/ Starting JD 650 #1  

hoot1293

Have a JD 650 that is hard to start. When you turn the switch on nothing happens. I turn the switch on and off several times quickly it usually starts. I don't know if is the switch or something else. I would appreciate any help.

/ Starting JD 650 #2  
Usually that is a sign that the solenoid on the starter is either poor or there is a voltage drop somewhere and there isn't enough juice getting through to the solenoid.

/ Starting JD 650 #3  
I think the voltage drop is your problem. The 50 series compacts seem to be plagued with this problem as they have gotten older. These tractors never had a relay in the starter circuit, so adding one would probably solve your problem. The voltage drops at every connection from the battery to fuse panel, to key switch, to neutral switches and then to the starter. By the time the voltage gets to the starter solenoid, you only have maybe 8 volts to engage the starter. Deere makes a couple of relay kits for different machines, but none specifically for the 50 series compacts. Some people have used AM107421 kit designed for lawn and garden tractors. I personally like the RE44536 kit designed for the older row-crop tractors. It has a very heavy duty relay and heavier wiring harness that I feel gives a better, longer lasting repair. Both kits come with instructions that will need a little modification to make them fit the 50 series.

/ Starting JD 650 #4  
I concur with everything JD110 said. I have owned two JD 750's and had to add the extra relay on the second one (an '84 model) that I used to have. After I installed it, it cranked every time without fail. I learned about the relay from a local starter/alternator shop though. He rigged up a relay for me and told me how to wire it up.

To the OP, try this little experiment... Get a hammer. Turn the ignition key to the crank position. If it doesn't do anything, take the hammer and rap the starter a couple times while holding the key in the crank position and see what happens. Just be careful not to hit it too hard and break the casting. If it suddenly fires up, then you probably need the extra relay.

In addition to all the voltage drops from all of the connection points, the wiring is a bit undersized too which adds a little more resistance than if the wires were oversized. This also adds its own voltage drops. Hope you get it figured out!