Oil & Fuel John Deere 2305 stops running after about 45 minutes of mowing

/ John Deere 2305 stops running after about 45 minutes of mowing #1  

johnwilldo

Bronze Member
North Eastern Pennsylvania, Lehigh Valley
Tractor
John Deere 2305
Been having a problem with my John Deere 2305. Seems to be quitting due to fuel starvation after about 45 minutes of mowing. I can let it sit for about 10 minutes and get it to restart after cycling the start sequence about three times. When it restarts, it then runs for quite a while before quitting again. I just bought the Shop Repair manual CD so at least I know the theory of operation. The air filters (both) are new, I have run the tractor with the fuel cap loose and have cleaned the fuel/water separator and installed a new filter.

Any thoughts?

/ John Deere 2305 stops running after about 45 minutes of mowing #2  
You've done the things I would have checked out.
But still need to follow the cause for not getting fuel. 45 minutes seems like a long time running to then have the shutdown.
Is that 45 minutes consistent for run time?

Any chance the fuel in the tank is bad? like old fuel that has algae in it? or other debris moving around in the tank?

/ John Deere 2305 stops running after about 45 minutes of mowing #3  
Any sign of overheating - temp gauge? Cleaned filters - did that include dust screen in front of radiator?

/ John Deere 2305 stops running after about 45 minutes of mowing
Thanks for you input. All filters.....gas......inner and outer air filters as well as the radiator and protective screen. The radiator screen clogs rapidly when mowing and needs to constantly be cleaned during the mowing process.The hi temp light will come on if I go too long without stopping the tractor and cleaning the screen with a brush or running it up to the garage and using shop air. Yes, there could be fuel contamination, but with the small tank of about five gallons, it gets fresh fuel quite often. The tank is near empty today and I will unhook the fuel line to the fuel filter water separator and drain what fuel remains an perhaps use shop air to blow out the lines of course with the fuel cap loose or off. Yes, it pretty much runs for quite a while after it restarts, but perhaps not 45 minutes.

Thanks for your input. Yes, it does overheat if I am not paying attention to stopping every 15 minutes and cleaning the radiator filters. Sometimes I just use a brush that I carry with me or I run it up to the garage and use shop air. My biggest complaint with the 2305 is how fast the radiator inner and outer screens clog. I wonder if I redirect the exhaust pipe if it would help or fashion a skirt on the mower.

/ John Deere 2305 stops running after about 45 minutes of mowing #6  
I know you said you changed the fuel/water separator, but I wonder if there is still a partial blockage somewhere. On a neighbors 2210, I once troubleshot a similar issue (died after ~10 minutes). The issue was a bit of debris stuck in the fuelcock. I had to use a dental pick to reach up in there and get it out. This theory would only hold is the inflow rate was ever so slightly less than the outflow such that the fuel ran out. A couple of questions/tests to help pinpoint:

Before mowing, confirm your radiator fluid levels are good and note the overflow level if any. Also note the fuel level in the fuel filter glass.

1) If you are quick enough, check the fuel level in the filter immediately when it dies to see if it is low?
2) If the 45 minutes is predictable, check the fuel level at 30-45 minute mark to see if the fuel level in the filter is getting lower?
3) If the 45 minutes is predictable, either kill the mower blades and/or back off the rpm by ~10% and see if the duration changes noticably?
4) When it dies, is your overheat indicator on, also double check the radiator fluid overflow to get an idea of just how hot the engine really is? Your response above wasn't clear whether the overheat icon always came on when the condition occurs or whether is an independent observation.
5) When you say it takes 10 minutes then you can restart, does it transitions directly from no start to starting, or does it transition through sputtering, hard starting, then running?
6) Does it seem to matter the outside temperature, length of grass you are mowering, etc?
7) Lastly, did this seem to develop, or simply start happening one day?

Couple thoughts (probably not nothing new to you). The overheating doesn't sound normal. I agree the JD2305 collects debris in the radiator like a magnet, but even when I clog it pretty good, it is very, very seldom it overheats to the point of indicator light and even less to shutting down. The only times I really can remember this happening is when mulching tons of deep leaves on a really hot day for extended length of time. All of these times, the inner screen is 100% coated. I guess there could be a temp sensor going wacky. This is why I would like to know what the radiator overflow is doing because it should be about to bust when the indicator light is on.

BTW - If you are stopping to blow the screens periodically, make sure you keep the tractor idling and/or only shut it off as little as possible. The engine temp actually jumps significantly if you quickly kill a hot engine.

Based upon the answers above, we should be able to narrow it down a bit.

/ADin

/ John Deere 2305 stops running after about 45 minutes of mowing #7  
A JD2305 does not shut down when hot there are no sensors to monitor the engine temp and to shut off fuel most modern engines do not have that feature. If it did shut down from overheating you would have head gaskets to replace and possible the head too. Curious what kind of grass you mow that you are getting hot every 45 minutes keep us posted I am interested in your findings

/ John Deere 2305 stops running after about 45 minutes of mowing #8  
When you get your manual check the electrical diagram to see if there is a thermistor in the fuel solenoid circuit.

Found this:
Default Re: John Deere 2305 Will not stay running
Same exact problem with my 2007 J.D. 2305, however I called the John Deere Headquarters in Moline, Illinois and talked to one of their V.P.'s of marketing to try and fix this two year old intermittent problem once and for all.

I told him that I've been trading with J.D. for 50 years now would rather not switch to kubota or Mahindra at this point. He told me, "We don't want you to do that", and told me to go out and shoot a video with my point & shoot camera of exactly what is happening, ie; the tractor turns over, runs for 2 seconds and then dies...

It has been doing this intermittently for two years now, however, this time appears to have died as it has been sitting out in the driveway now for the past 4 days and will not correct itself this time. So I sent him a one minute video showing that the PTO switch is in the 'off' position, the gear shift lever is in neutral, and that the brake is locked as it should be for starting the tractor.

ONE DAY LATER, I get a call from the John Deere Augusta, Georgia plant (where the 2305 and other compact tractors are made) where one of the trouble shooting experts who viewed my video was and kindly called me.

It turns out the problem here fella's has nothing to do with the safety switches, fuel pump solenoids, the fuel pump, the fuel pump solenoid shut off switch (didn't even know they had one of those), but instead, and I am quoting here from his email to me:

"After watching the YouTube video, I would suspect that the V4 diode is failing or there is a circuit issue with the V4 diode. - Please Refer to Technical Manual "TM2289" pages 144-148 for testing and resolution of the V4 Diode, and this should remedy the problem you are having with your J.D. Model 2305. - Kindly note that the dealership can open a case with their dealer technical assistance center for additional help here should that be necessary."

Hope this helps guys... Happy Fourth, 2013...!!!
Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

A search will find more 2305 issues.

Last edited:
Let me see if I can address your questiions:

1) Fuel filter full
2)I have
3)Good idea
4)No, the overheat light is not on nor is the radiator expressing coolant
5)It takes a while to start again................same as if you ran a tank of fuel empty.
6)No
7)Just started happening
BTW...When I get an overhead light, I turn off the PTO, reduce the throttle, I leave the engine running, I use a brush to clean the outer screen and then remove and clean is inner screen while hold the air intake tube out of the way since the air flow through the radiator causes the blocking items to go air born. If I am close to my lower garage, I take it up and use shop air.

By the way, since possting, I jumpered out the seat switch, opened the fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter and the remaining fuel drained completely with no contaminates or stoppages. I used shop air to clear the line from the filter to the tank. I then refilled the fuel tank, Added some Seafoam treatment and fired it up. It has now run three separate times over 2 1/2 hours without stopping. I have been using my brush hog to clear very high weeds, but when the problem occured I was using the 62 inch belly mower mowing lawn grass of about 6 inches.

Thanks for your input. If it continues to run without a problem, I will replace the seat switch.

The manual is really good. My oldest daughter's boyfriend own and operates a foreign auto service shop just down the road from our farm. He came over and looked that the fuel system theory of operation and was convinced that my problem was electrical and not fuel. He suggested jumpering out some of the safety items, one at a time. I jumpered out the seat switch, but just for good measure, drained the remaining fuel, cleaned the fuel filter housing, (the filter was new) drained the remaining fuel and it drained without any stopping or showing any contaminates. I blew out the line, reconnected the line and added new fuel and Seafoam treatment. It started right up so I put on the bush hog and started mowing the first of five pastures that are way past mowing. I ran for over 2 1/2 hours the first time I took a break. After a lunch break, I mowed again for three hours without a stoppage...........I am hoping that it is fixed. That diode certainly would be a part to suspect also......thanks for you input.