Mowing shopping for bushhog

/ shopping for bushhog #1  

gmoorefield

Tractor
85 1050 john deere
New at owning a tractor and not sure how versitle a bushhog is. I have a j d 1050 and I'd like to get a bushhog for it. Is there different sizes as far as what tractors they fit, are the brandsbversitle. Just looking for a used one. Don't have a lot to cut, nbut a little rough for my mower and a little more than I wanrt to mow with the lawn tractor. Don't need a finish now , just keep the weeds down so my horses can get to the grass. Please share some knowledge

/ shopping for bushhog #2  
A starting point is a bit wider than rear tire width, so you can mow next to things.

Five foot would be suitable for thick or thin weeds and brush. It is probably most common and lowest price. But I wouldn't pass up a six foot if I ran across a bargain. I think you are planning light duty work, so a size larger than just the tire width would be OK.

Many makers make a light, medium, and heavy duty version. But unless you know all the ID features, it can be hard to tell without weighing them.

Based on price, I bought a size larger than factory recommendations, in a heavy version, but I still can handle it OK.

Bruce

Last edited:
   / shopping for bushhog #3  
TractorData.com John Deere 1050 tractor informationinfo for your tractor
www.jdparts.com = you can find part diagrams and part numbers for your tractor.
www.(Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) has long text of information and video for all there equipment they sell. good place to get familiar with a lot of stuff out there for a general home owner needs.
www.tractorhouse.com = new and used stuff
www.searchtempest.com = search multi cities of craiglist.org at one time.

bush hog = a brand name. though many folks call a "rotatory cutter" a bush hog. there are a lot of 3rd party manufactures out there, that make a rotatory cutter.

some things to keep in mind.... double check PTO length (will refer you to everythingattachments videos about measuring and cutting down PTO shafts) also read up on how to deal with "slip clutches" that come with most rotatory cutters and how to maintain them.

google keywords...
rotatory cutter site:tractorbynet.com

the site:tractorbynet.com = just searches this website for results.

/ shopping for bushhog #4  
<snip>

bush hog = a brand name. though many folks call a "rotatory cutter" a bush hog. there are a lot of 3rd party manufactures out there, that make a rotatory cutter.

some things to keep in mind.... double check PTO length (will refer you to everythingattachments videos about measuring and cutting down PTO shafts) also read up on how to deal with "slip clutches" that come with most rotatory cutters and how to maintain them.

google keywords...
rotatory cutter site:tractorbynet.com

the site:tractorbynet.com = just searches this website for results.
It's ROTARY cutter.
Check the PTO condition also, mine just broke a cross bearing and "spread" the yoke.

Normal rule of thumb is 5 PTO hp/foot.

Other things to pay attention to are chains that may come with it, deck condition, shape of top (does it hold or shed rain).

I often see used 5' ones going for $500 but some are rusted with weeds growing through the deck while others look brand new.

/ shopping for bushhog #5  
I don't know that a cutter is particularly versatile... it cuts a variety of thicknesses of 'stuff', and is tougher (and less finished a job) than a finish mower. I have knocked down many stumps and high spots, so I guess they do grade... they also make great rock and metal detectors--they'll start making a wicked noise to alert you you've found one... in seriousness you should talk with dealers and look at the different grades of cutter your machine can handle, then look at buying. If you don't need a heavy or medium duty one, and don't plan on venturing into unknown areas a light duty one is all you need for once a year field mowing, and will be a lot cheaper.

/ shopping for bushhog #6  
If this is just pasture clipping you can get by with a lighter duty unit. If the pasture is in rough condition I would suggest getting someone to cut it the first time. After that you could then handle it with a lighter duty unit.

Most used units on Craigslist and Searchtempest are either new or worn out. I looked for several months before I found a really nice used unit.

/ shopping for bushhog #8  
Are you looking for new or used? If you're looking at used from my experience if the deck looks beat then the gearbox is likely beat and you'll likely be in for repairs before long. If you're buying new then you have a lot to choose from. Some like to match their implements to their tractors, some like a particular brand name. I definitely agree with bcp. Look for something as wide as or slightly wider than your tractor width. I have a Bush Hog SQ160 which I bought brand new and have owned for 4 years and it's worked great. I used to have an old Massey 65 that was exactly the same width as the cutter. I could line my front wheel up with and edge and it would cut perfectly along that edge. I now have a Ford 3930 that is set super wide at the back (7') and it's a pain because I can't close to trees, fences, etc.