Pullup lockout switch---devastating!

/ Pullup lockout switch---devastating! #1  

gpdausch123

Tractor
john deere 1025R
I own a 1025R and am
disconcerted with the reverse lockout switch on th mower. Is there some way to bypass this thing?
Geo in Joppa, Maryland
Email: gdausch123@aol.com

Last edited:
   / Pullup lockout switch---devastating! #2  
:welcome:
To TBN gpdausch. Don't you just love it when the government tries to "idiot" proof everything? I had that on my Craftsman mower so I put a switch on it so that I could bypass that lockout. Wasn't that hard on it but I have no idea on your JD.

/ Pullup lockout switch---devastating! #3  
Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move your thread on over to the JD section. Maybe someone over there will know.

/ Pullup lockout switch---devastating! #4  
Welcome to TBN.

In the "old" days of the early RIO switch installs, by-passing was pretty easy.. either a jumper wire or moving the switch to not be opened when putting into reverse. But I understand the electronic boys have been designing the RIO switches so they cannot be easily bypassed. So without knowing more, cannot give any suggestions (beyond getting a service tech manual for your model and look at the wiring schematics for a way to switch out the RIO).

Really should just not buy a model where they have the RIO. Loss of sales might get their attention.

/ Pullup lockout switch---devastating! #5  
Pull rt side panel off, remove pto connector, cut & short red/orange wire. Problem solved.

/ Pullup lockout switch---devastating! #6  
Loss of sales might get their attention.

You figure more than a product liability lawsuit...?

Switch is there so the defense lawyer can point at it when they get sued by people who can't competently operate equipment that are facilitated by lawyers trying to get 33% of any settlement.

/ Pullup lockout switch---devastating! #7  
I used a jumper wire on the backside of the switch on the GX345. I just bought a Z930R. So I ask, you can change directions just as fast on on zero turn but they dont have to have the the reverse cut off switch? The world has gone totally stupid...

A simple form you sign when you buy the mower that says you have been warned to keep people and objects away from the mower during operation would work just as good.

/ Pullup lockout switch---devastating! #8  
A simple form you sign when you buy the mower that says you have been warned to keep people and objects away from the mower during operation would work just as good.

No, it would not. The first guy to try that will be the first one to get sued (and WILL lose), I think they are here to stay. The costs ($ wise as well as the really bad pr from a dead child via one of your machines) are just to big for large oem's to take the risk regardless of who or what is ultimately at fault. One missing signature, unreadable signature, third party buyer, etc.... could cost millions. They are also intentionally designed to be at least a little awkward to use. There was a time (long ago) when people complained non stop about neutral switches, park switches, or clutch switches in vehicles. Now the avg driver is barely aware that they where not there back in the day.