Adding Weight

/ Adding Weight #1  

Dan_Ives

Tractor
2001 4700 John Deere
I just loaded my tires on my JD4700, 16.9x24 R1 tires with a new product called Rim Guard. It's made from sugar beets and looks like molasses and won't freeze. It's 1/2 lb. heavier than calcium chloride per gal. At 11lbs. and cost $1.50 to $1.75 per gal. + labor. I used 122 gallons, 75% full =1342 lbs. That should hold me down when I'm using the backhoe. The nice thing about this stuff is that it's nontoxic and environmentally safe and it wont (RUST). Also before I had them do it I had the tire guy put little short valve stems in the rim, like less than a 1/2 inch long. It should help from getting ripped off in the woods.

Dan

/ Adding Weight
It's made by Dow Chemical Co. The tire dealers around here are just starting to use it. The place I bought it from is FARMERS CO-OP ELEVATOR CO. (616) 784-1068 in Grand Rapids Mi. You could have your tire place call them.

Dan

/ Adding Weight #4  
Hi Dan,

I looked into Rim-guard some months back, and was told by one of the biggest tire dealers in the area that the ordinary equipment they use to pump the calcium fills would not handle the "beet juice" well. I have no idea if this is true.
Do you (or does anyone ) have any thoughts/info about this?

Thanks,

Larry

/ Adding Weight
Larry

The tire dealer that did mine, said he had to get another tank and pump to use Rim Guard. He has two setups on his truck. He said that Rim Guard will take over someday but he a lot customers are using calcium. I think most tractor tire dealers will handle it soon If people ask for it.

Dan