855 PTO Question

/ 855 PTO Question #1  

Ronaldjaye

Tractor
John Deere 855
The 855 has A---Mid and Rear PTO Position

B...Mid PTO position
C...Rear PTO position
My Question is : what causes both the mid and rear to operate no matter what position is chosen? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

/ 855 PTO Question
I really would appreciate a little input. Where are all the John Deere 855 lovers? I want to leave the tiller raised when I use the MMM and the mmm raised so I can use the tiller.... No matter whitch option I choose They both respond... Please tell the tired old man the secret

/ 855 PTO Question #3  
Was going to respond to the original post, but it lacked some description of what the problem was about. Your second post helps a bit more.

I'm thinking you are trying to put together a combination that will not work.

At least, if the 855 is how I think it is (and I will look on my copy of the tech manual soon), there is one clutch to turn the PTO drive on, and off of that PTO it is possible to have the mid PTO engaged or not.
So you cannot have the mid PTO running without the rear PTO running also. But you can run the rear PTO without the mid PTO running by dis-engaging it.

That is how my 4300 is designed.
Your operators manual should describe it.

If something is broken, then I don't know what it might be.

/ 855 PTO Question #4  
855 has three positions for the PTO. Rear, Mid, & Both. I forget which order.

Or are you speaking of the 3pt hitch versus mid mount lift? If so, they are controlled off the same hydraulics. You can use the height adjust to keep the mower from dropping all the way but I find that not effective. Another option, if you can find the parts, is a separate cylinder to control the mid mount. It operates off the loader control valve which means you cannot have mower and loader installed at the same time.

I've gotten rather tired of mounting/dismounting the MMM so I pretty much switched to a rear mount. Not as maneuverable but I need the tractor for other work too much to keep the MMM on all the time.

/ 855 PTO Question #5  
I think I understand now. I was confused thinking we were talking about the pto. This is about raising and lowering attachments.
You can keep the mmm on while using the 3pt. Just raise it up, then turn the black dial between your feet clockwise I believe until it stops. That will hold the mower deck while you use the 3pt.
But to use the mower you must remove the 3pt attachment. Unless you add the extra rock shaft cylinder mentioned above.

Jay

/ 855 PTO Question #6  
The 855 PTO does not operate like the 4300 and some other later models where the mid could not be separated from the rear PTO. The 855 selector is entirely mechanical where you select which, or both, gears to engage. I don't have an answer for the problem other than to say it must be a mechanical linkage that has come loose.

I have the additional rockshaft cylinder and use the loader and the 3pt with the MMM attached. That black knob does lock the MMM in place.

/ 855 PTO Question #7  
Thanks JD755. I did find that in the service tech CD, but then noticed that it likely is not a PTO problem the OP is asking about.
Hope Ronald gets it figured out.

/ 855 PTO Question
I so sorry I have not made myself clear...I guess what I should have said is: How do I get the MMM to stay in the raised Position and Lower the 3 point tiller and vice versa...The real problem is I am an old Dog trying to learn new tricks.. I got a real good deal on this JD855 with 1005 hours on it with a 72 in MMM....Learned to mow my little five acres..... Later I got what I thought was a good deal on a JD 550 tiller...After walking pass the tiller for about a year I finally decided to attach it to the Tractor a couple of weeks ago. I still have not connected the PTO Shaft to the tractor. I want to be sure I know all the "how too steps" before I take that " one giant leap" of actually using the darned thing...

Hey, I think I may have found what I was looking for in my manual.. NOTE: To lock mower in completely raised position:
a.... Raise Mower as high as it will go.
b....Turn depth control clockwise until it is tight.

The tractor can now be used to operate another attachment without removing the mower..
I will try that tomorrow... I don't know how I managed to skip over that paragraph in the manual so many times.... Told you I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks....Thanks for the help guys and wish me luck..

/ 855 PTO Question
JLwoodworks wins the prize. thanks jay and thanks to everyone else who chimed in

/ 855 PTO Question #10  
If you use the tiller with the MMM in the raised and locked position, the first pass with the tiller will work okay. But if you need to make a second or third pass with the tiller to get the required depth, I would remove the MMM. The soil will be fluffed up some and the tractor tires will sink some, leaving the MMM to be low enough it will be plowing into the ground. If enough soil is mounded up onto or in front of the MMM something may get damaged.