4200 hydraulic issues

/ 4200 hydraulic issues #1  

whynot162

Silver Member
Tractor
Rhino 324
I have a friend about 80 with a 4200. I do not know anything about a john deere tractor.

The rear hydraulics will not lift any more. The loader is sluggish, He says that last year the rear would lift and not stay up, so he just kept using it that way.
After looking I think, or hope for him, that it is just a clogged filter or screen. I was thinking that last year if it was almost plugged, it would lift and as more oil passed the screen/filter it would then clog, and the 3pt, would lower. Just my guess.

Can you give me any ideas where to start, and what to look for.

the oil looks clean, the level is good. I have not gone over to actually look at the tractor, But I would like some ideas before I head over to look at it.

I was going to see if there is noise, or engine load when trying to lift. he also said that he has neglected the maintenance.

I am just trying to help out a poor old guy, get his tractor running again.

Thanks
Doug

/ 4200 hydraulic issues #2  
Change the hydraulic oil and filter, and clean the screen.
80 is no excuse for neglecting his tractor, and hope you can help him get his problem solved and going again.

/ 4200 hydraulic issues
yes it is no excuse, but all I can do is move on from here. So I am assuming that there is a spin on filter? and where would the screen be located at.
Thanks

/ 4200 hydraulic issues #4  
Yes, spin on filter, and screen is next to it on the return line to the pump.

Screen (item #4) looks like this tube.. both on front of tranny. Clean debris out of the screen and replace when clean.

Attachments

• 4200_hydro_screen.jpg
    4200_hydro_screen.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 297
   / 4200 hydraulic issues #5  
[video]http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMLVU11736_L0/Output/LVU11736_LO5.html[/video]

Maybe this site will help?

Check all the valve positions for proper place. Us older folk change things and then forget about them.

/ 4200 hydraulic issues
Where is the hydraulic stop valve? The manual has been very helpful I see that as an option on the troubleshooting guide but have not found its location in the rest of the parts I have read

/ 4200 hydraulic issues #7  
It is listed under "Using three-point Hitch" section in the manual Egon linked to.

Located between your legs in the center directly under the leading edge of the seat, and about 3" above the floor mat. Knob is about 2" diam.

/ 4200 hydraulic issues
Thanks, I feel stupid, Should have looked in the operation part..duh. Thanks for being so kind. trying to find time to go look at the tractor now.