755 and mower...try to fix or time to trade?

/ 755 and mower...try to fix or time to trade? #1  

Ed755

Tractor
John Deere 755
My 755 60" mid-mount mower from 1987 has finally bitten the dust, the right hand blade/spindle/pulley has parted company from the deck shell, a nice circular ring of fully perforated rust, just hanging by one edge. Maybe, just maybe, a local welding shop can fabricate some sort of suspension strapping with flange, to get it all back into position, welded to sound metal...maybe. No idea what that would cost if they could/would do it. I am going to ask about that tomorrow.
I had thrown the belt, figured I would finally have to spend $128 on a new drive pulley coming out of the gear box, it has been a bit wobbly of late. But when I looked under the covers, no...
I went to the dealer, there are no current production mowers which would fit my aging 755. A replacement deck shell alone would cost close to 3k, ridiculous. For that money, or less, I could get a 3 point hitch LandPride grooming mower, but I have some tight spots and tough clearances, and at best, that would be a pain. Although it may be the cheapest and most reliable way out.
Dealer showed me some possible replacements for entire rig, a 1023E and a 1025R, as well as an X758 lawn tractor. I need 4WD, I have some steep slopes to go up and down, and my 755 will run away with me if only in 2WD. Happened twice, and never again... With a lawn tractor, I would miss my FEL, I can't honestly say I absolutely "need" it anymore, but it sure is nice to have. I would have to get a snowblower to take care of drive, been using the bucket to clear. The 755 is still chugging along, but there is a fuel leak on one injector, I get some smoking from under the hood when under heavy load or up slope. Some oil leaking from oil sensor, I just keep it topped up. Dealer showed me the 1023 with deck and FEL just to show me that it wasn't all that much more than the X758 lawn tractor with 4WD. Said for my 1987 755 with 1400 hours, maybe 5k at private sale. (I would not get that or anywhere near that in trade.) I do have a young mechanical neighbor who has always said to let him know before I ever sold the 755, so that is a possibllity. I had hoped the whole rig would last as long as me, I am 75, but maybe not....
Any advice for me?

/ 755 and mower...try to fix or time to trade? #2  
My 755 60" mid-mount mower from 1987 has finally bitten the dust, the right hand blade/spindle/pulley has parted company from the deck shell, a nice circular ring of fully perforated rust, just hanging by one edge. Maybe, just maybe, a local welding shop can fabricate some sort of suspension strapping with flange, to get it all back into position, welded to sound metal...maybe. No idea what that would cost if they could/would do it. I am going to ask about that tomorrow. I had thrown the belt, figured I would finally have to spend $128 on a new drive pulley coming out of the gear box, it has been a bit wobbly of late. But when I looked under the covers, no... I went to the dealer, there are no current production mowers which would fit my aging 755. A replacement deck shell alone would cost close to 3k, ridiculous. For that money, or less, I could get a 3 point hitch LandPride grooming mower, but I have some tight spots and tough clearances, and at best, that would be a pain. Although it may be the cheapest and most reliable way out. Dealer showed me some possible replacements for entire rig, a 1023E and a 1025R, as well as an X758 lawn tractor. I need 4WD, I have some steep slopes to go up and down, and my 755 will run away with me if only in 2WD. Happened twice, and never again... With a lawn tractor, I would miss my FEL, I can't honestly say I absolutely "need" it anymore, but it sure is nice to have. I would have to get a snowblower to take care of drive, been using the bucket to clear. The 755 is still chugging along, but there is a fuel leak on one injector, I get some smoking from under the hood when under heavy load or up slope. Some oil leaking from oil sensor, I just keep it topped up. Dealer showed me the 1023 with deck and FEL just to show me that it wasn't all that much more than the X758 lawn tractor with 4WD. Said for my 1987 755 with 1400 hours, maybe 5k at private sale. (I would not get that or anywhere near that in trade.) I do have a young mechanical neighbor who has always said to let him know before I ever sold the 755, so that is a possibllity. I had hoped the whole rig would last as long as me, I am 75, but maybe not.... Any advice for me?

I have a 670 and run a Land Pride rear finish mower. I LOVE the Land Pride. One of the best made pieces of equipment I've ever seen. (Not just cut its mine. It really is solid)

How many hours are on your 755? It sounds like it's served you well and can continue to. Unless you have a serious itch to buy a new one, I'd keep it. Maybe put a couple hundred $ in it to button up a couple of issues and roll on.

Besides clearance issues, you absolutely can't go wrong with a rear mount land pride. After operating mine so long, I can maneuver it surprisingly well in some tight spots. There's a learning curve with anything...

<UIImageView: 0x15641860; frame = (0 0; 0 0); userInteractionEnabled = NO; layer = <CALayer: 0x1560e4f0>>

/ 755 and mower...try to fix or time to trade? #3  
Might try the craigslist. Neighbor had a 60" for his 4300 listed for at least 5 years, but as of late I see it is gone. No idea if that would fit your 755 but likely closer than today's 7-Irons and the like.
Wish you luck.

/ 755 and mower...try to fix or time to trade?
My 755 60" mid-mount mower from 1987 has finally bitten the dust, the right hand blade/spindle/pulley has parted company from the deck shell, a nice circular ring of fully perforated rust, just hanging by one edge. Maybe, just maybe, a local welding shop can fabricate some sort of suspension strapping with flange, to get it all back into position, welded to sound metal...maybe. No idea what that would cost if they could/would do it. I am going to ask about that tomorrow.
I had thrown the belt, figured I would finally have to spend $128 on a new drive pulley coming out of the gear box, it has been a bit wobbly of late. But when I looked under the covers, no...
I went to the dealer, there are no current production mowers which would fit my aging 755. A replacement deck shell alone would cost close to 3k, ridiculous. For that money, or less, I could get a 3 point hitch LandPride grooming mower, but I have some tight spots and tough clearances, and at best, that would be a pain. Although it may be the cheapest and most reliable way out.
Dealer showed me some possible replacements for entire rig, a 1023E and a 1025R, as well as an X758 lawn tractor. I need 4WD, I have some steep slopes to go up and down, and my 755 will run away with me if only in 2WD. Happened twice, and never again... With a lawn tractor, I would miss my FEL, I can't honestly say I absolutely "need" it anymore, but it sure is nice to have. I would have to get a snowblower to take care of drive, been using the bucket to clear. The 755 is still chugging along, but there is a fuel leak on one injector, I get some smoking from under the hood when under heavy load or up slope. Some oil leaking from oil sensor, I just keep it topped up. Dealer showed me the 1023 with deck and FEL just to show me that it wasn't all that much more than the X758 lawn tractor with 4WD. Said for my 1987 755 with 1400 hours, maybe 5k at private sale. (I would not get that or anywhere near that in trade.) I do have a young mechanical neighbor who has always said to let him know before I ever sold the 755, so that is a possibllity. I had hoped the whole rig would last as long as me, I am 75, but maybe not....
Any advice for me?

I have been offered the loan of a John Deere 261 grooming mower. This looks awfully big to me, will it mount on my 755's 3 point hitch, which I believe is a category one hitch. ???

/ 755 and mower...try to fix or time to trade? #5  
Just my take on this Ed, but for $1000 bucks or so, you could restore the tractor and mower to serviceable condition. Anything else you do will cost considerably more.
You seem to like this unit, and it has everything you need already. However, once you start thinking about a new toy, it's hard to be satisfied with the old toy.

/ 755 and mower...try to fix or time to trade? #6  
I have been offered the loan of a John Deere 261 grooming mower. This looks awfully big to me, will it mount on my 755's 3 point hitch, which I believe is a category one hitch. ???

Your 755 will handle it just fine. My 670 (very similar to 755) doesn't break a sweat handling my 750 lb Land Pride 2560.
From what I see, the 261 weighs in the 500 lb range. No problem.

/ 755 and mower...try to fix or time to trade? #7  
I don't know about the Deere 261, but I run a Land Pride 2560 behind my 755. Although it took a little getting used to, i like the way i can back the 3 pt hitch mower up under trees and cut closer to obstacles than I could get to with the MMM. The 2560 is a very heavy mower, probably wouldn't want one any heavier. And if I were you, and the only thing wrong with my 755 was an injector leak, I'd look to fix that long before selling as cheaply as $5K. 1400 hours is not all that many hours.

/ 755 and mower...try to fix or time to trade? #8  
Your 755 will handle the 261 with no problem.

/ 755 and mower...try to fix or time to trade? #9  
Rear mount works well for me. I think the MMM gives an overall better cut, but it's also 500lbs to shove under my tractor. I got a LandPride 72" used last year, works very well so far.

/ 755 and mower...try to fix or time to trade? #10  
What a decision Ed755. It would be hard to part with such a machine for sure. One slight thing I can add is to ask how your tires are. How are they? I know the 55 series replacement tires are pretty pricy these days. Nickel and dime and downtime might push you over the edge one day. I looked long and hard at 55 series and made the decision I'd rather be working with it than fixing it. Also, as you have so painfully found out, replacement implements are difficult to come by and can get pricy. Good luck whichever way you go!!!