John Deere Hy-Guard hydraulic fluid vs generic hydraulic fluid

/ John Deere Hy-Guard hydraulic fluid vs generic hydraulic fluid #1  

dieselcrawler

Elite Member
Tractor
2013 JD 3005 2001 Kubota BX1800
I need to change the hydraulic fluid in my JD 3005, which has wet brakes. I was at the dealer today for work reasons, so I priced fluid and filter. They want $65 for 4 gallons, and I already have a 5 gallon bucket of tractor hydraulic oil, that list compatibility with the Hygaurd. Dealer says 'he's heard of people getting brake chatter if they don't use JD fluid.'

Any feedback? I'd like to use what I already have, but not if it will affect the brakes. Due to the hills I am on all the time, great, not just good, brakes are mandatory.

/ John Deere Hy-Guard hydraulic fluid vs generic hydraulic fluid #2  
I need to change the hydraulic fluid in my JD 3005, which has wet brakes. I was at the dealer today for work reasons, so I priced fluid and filter. They want $65 for 4 gallons, and I already have a 5 gallon bucket of tractor hydraulic oil, that list compatibility with the Hygaurd. Dealer says 'he's heard of people getting brake chatter if they don't use JD fluid.'

Any feedback? I'd like to use what I already have, but not if it will affect the brakes. Due to the hills I am on all the time, great, not just good, brakes are mandatory.
No doubt you pay through the nose for Deere branded fluids. As for Hyguard, there are two-"regular" and "low vis". Make sure you get the right one for your machine. Also as for competitive oils if it specifically says meets JD spec xxxx it qualifies. I think the spec for the low vis is JDM20M-but I'm going from memory-check your owners manual

/ John Deere Hy-Guard hydraulic fluid vs generic hydraulic fluid #3  
I use the JD fluids in all my brands and have never thought twice about it. It is not like my hyd fluid gets changed that often anyway. I don't dispute that off brands say they can meet JD and other brand's requirements and may very well do that quite well.

/ John Deere Hy-Guard hydraulic fluid vs generic hydraulic fluid #4  
Go ahead, and let us know if the non-Deere fluids check out. Not worth the risk for me, over a few bucks now vs something major later on.

/ John Deere Hy-Guard hydraulic fluid vs generic hydraulic fluid #5  
Someone on this forum had problems just from using Hygard instead of Lo-vis Hygard. I don't remember the details but what will it cost if you use the generic stuff and something craps out. Then it will take a system flush, maybe twice with the right fluid.

/ John Deere Hy-Guard hydraulic fluid vs generic hydraulic fluid #6  
Check your owners manual. It will say to use Low-Viscosity Hi-Guard. I bought one of the last brand new 790's from a JD dealer in December 2007. John Deere started selling the 3005 in January 2008. It is the same tractor as the 790. It was just a number change to match up with JD's overall tractor numbering system. These tractors have dry brakes. The larger 4005 and 990 have wet brakes. My brakes chatter but it's because it was driven with the park brake on which glazed the pads.

Last edited:
   / John Deere Hy-Guard hydraulic fluid vs generic hydraulic fluid #7  
I know folks always debate the tractor-specific fluids each brand recommends, but don't recall anyone posting about using a generic and having a meltdown. Certainly they all start as crude oil, and are refined and added to... do folks have specific additive interactions they've experienced using the generics? My machine has only a distant memory of Hy-gard, and never seemed to look back. Are there some sort of magic seals or metals flagship manufacturers add to ensure global meltdown if their mark-up isn't sought and bought? Seems like unique formulation is an odd spec to manufacture to in a global market.

/ John Deere Hy-Guard hydraulic fluid vs generic hydraulic fluid
I was wondering about the wet vs dry brake thing. My brakes squeak at times, so I was a little sceptical when the dealer parts guy said I had wet brakes.

I'll dig my owners manual out of the cabinet in the barn, and cross check what it says against the bucket of fluid I have.

Thanks for the response, any additional input welcome.

/ John Deere Hy-Guard hydraulic fluid vs generic hydraulic fluid #9  
Some brand X oils say they meet the JD 303 spec . The 303 spec oil was obsolete several decades ago.

/ John Deere Hy-Guard hydraulic fluid vs generic hydraulic fluid #10  
The spec you must meet for Low Vis Hyguard is JDM-J20D. But I agree with others- (Hydraulic, UTF, Gear) unless you are dealing with a name brand-Mobil, Exxon, Shell and the spec is clearly a match, not worth saving a few bucks-in particular if you are still under warranty.

Motor oil different story, if its a brand name and it meets API spec per Deere, I use it. Can't beat TSupply's Shell Rotella prices. As for their "house brand" they can keep it.

Filters? I pay the JD premium-unless I can find a Purolator or Fram match-and I see the "made in USA " label