855 Lift Control?

/ 855 Lift Control? #1  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
I had a tree get jammed in my lift control and broke the plastic quadrant and bent the lever. I repaired the quadrant with epoxy and straightened the lever. Now when I try to position the lift arms midway the lever returns to the low position. The quadrant slot has a recessed section at the rear which would seem to be there for locking it in full up position but it always stayed right where I set it before this happened.

Any ideas?

/ 855 Lift Control? #2  
You're missing something but I cannot recall what. I had the same issue when I pulled the fenders to install the power-beyond and decided to test it before putting the fenders back.

/ 855 Lift Control?
If you can think of what it was please reply and let me know.

I've read and looked at the parts manual, service manual, and operators manual and nothing jumps out as missing. Logic and the operators manual would indicate it's working as designed now but that isn't how it worked before. One of the things I loved about this little tractor is how the lift would stay where you set it without using the adjustable stop or anything.

/ 855 Lift Control? #4  
Is it possible you just need to tighten the friction pad/washers ? (if indeed there is such an adjustment on the 855).

/ 855 Lift Control? #5  
You probably need to tighten nuts( 2 & 1) to put more pressure on cupped washers(part key 3)

Attachments

• MP3867_________UN01JAN94.gif
    MP3867_________UN01JAN94.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 74
   / 855 Lift Control?
You probably need to tighten nuts( 2 & 1) to put more pressure on cupped washers(part key 3)

I will give that a try. Can't find any mention of this in the service manual so I guess I'm overlooking it.

/ 855 Lift Control?
That seemed to take care of it. I think the friction of the handle rubbing on the plastic guide was holding it before. I straightened and bent that to get some of it but this friction washer adjustment makes that unnecessary.

THANKS to all who replied!

/ 855 Lift Control? #8  
Thanks for update. This just goes to show some of us Oldtimers really do know some important things.:drink:

/ 855 Lift Control?
Thanks for update. This just goes to show some of us Oldtimers really do know some important things.:drink:

Thanks for the help.

I always follow up on my threads even if I don't come up with a fix. I hate a thread where someone asks for help, gets a suggestion, then never comes back to tell people if it's fixed. Being able to search for answers and getting them is what it's all about.

I also try to search for answers before asking to cut down on repeated topics.