5020 gear shifting issue

/ 5020 gear shifting issue #1  

marcin

Bronze Member
Tractor
john deere 5205, 1968 john deere 5020
I recently purchased a 1968 John Deere 5020. The tractor appears to start and run very well. I cannot change gears when the RPMs are high (>5000, i.e.: when tractor is not idling). I can hear and feel grinding and the gear will not engage. I imagine this is likely related to a used (up) clutch? Can any adjustment be made before it needs to be replaced? If so, is it through the cover plate underneath - I do not have a tool that is described to use here. Can the stop screw adjustment on the clutch pedal help with this also? I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

M

/ 5020 gear shifting issue #2  
Hopefully Jim and/or jd 110 will see this and post the answers you need. Both of these guys are very knowledgeable mechanics. Good luck with it but I am suspecting that is why the tractor was sold. If you need a clutch splitting that tractor is a large job.

/ 5020 gear shifting issue
I am not sure why it has been sold - I got it on auction. It looks like it has not been used for a long time and noone has taken care of it. It was converted to a 12v system, I suspect to sell as the starter and batteries are relatively new. The hydraulic oil looked like milk. I had to replace the tachometer and cable, temperature gauge, fix the seat suspension and replace the seat, PTO and 3 point linkages, hydraulic system leaks, etc. The tractor seems to work well, the shifting thing is more of a nuisance but since I got to fixing what I can, I would like to see what can be done. The rear engine seal also seems to be leaking. Is it reasonable to drive the tractor as is or should I get it split and fixed - if that is what is needed? Thanks.

/ 5020 gear shifting issue #4  
As long as you changed the hydraulic oil and engine oil you should be able to run it enough to test it out some. If you need to put a clutch in it I would also want to do a compression check to see how strong the engine is first. If the tractor is in decent shape overall, the engine is good then I would see about a new clutch if needed. A 5020 is not a complicated tractor like the new ones today and that makes the clutch job simpler. But the tractor is heavy and you need a dealer to do this job with the special tools and jacks. It would be great if an adjustment to the clutch is all that is needed.

How are the tires and what is leaking on the hydraulics? Those tires are not cheap.

/ 5020 gear shifting issue #5  
My knowledge of 5020's is very limited as dealership where I was employed only sold one that I can remember. Plus the clutch pedal is different from 3020/4020's. From viewing parts catalog I think bolt(part key 16) is the pedal free travel adjusting bolt. Hard shifting could be caused by a "dry pilot brg" on the end off trans input shaft. I agree with jenkinsph on hoping you changed fluids as milky hyd oil rings a death toll for brake pads & pto brake.

Attachments

• R32951_________UN01JAN94.gif
    R32951_________UN01JAN94.gif
    20.2 KB · Views: 319
jenkinsph,

The rear tires are at 50%, the front at 90% or so. Nothing is leaking on the hydraulics now, previously it was all around the steering column.

txjim,

I was thinking of bolt#4 to be able to depress the pedal further? Could that help? How can I correct the "dry pilot brg" on the end off trans input shaft? Do I need the special tool to adjust the clutch?

How much do you think it should cost to replace the clutch?

Thank you all again.

/ 5020 gear shifting issue #7  
To correct dry pilot brg would require a tractor split. Although I've heard of adjusting PP bolts from underneath of tractor I'm not a big fan of that procedure.

I just thought of something else that might be the non-release problem and that is possible broken pressure plate operating bolt.

As I stated my experience with 5020's is limited and I have no clue if changing adjustment on bolt(parts key 4) will or will not accomplish

I removed bolt #4 in the diagram to allow the clutch pedal to travel further. This has allowed me to shift at higher rams without difficulty. Is this OK? Can I be possibly creating more difficulty for down the line? Thanks again.

/ 5020 gear shifting issue #9  
I think you'll be alright as long as when depressing pedal you don't hear any unusual noises or feel the pedal pulsing.