Traction 4200 Hydrostatic positive lock won't engage completely

/ 4200 Hydrostatic positive lock won't engage completely #1  

simonds

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4200
1999 JD 4200 hydrostatic. Positive lock differential petal won't lock in completely. I can feel it going in and out while holding the petal down. I don't find any adjustment on it. Any help out there? Thank you.

/ 4200 Hydrostatic positive lock won't engage completely #2  
Look at the linkage on jdparts.com and see if you can decipher where the problem might lie. Might be something broken.

/ 4200 Hydrostatic positive lock won't engage completely #3  
Here are the two breakdowns from JDP, if you can "feel it going in and out" then I'm afraid it might be internal.:

4200-1.gif\

4200-2.gif

/ 4200 Hydrostatic positive lock won't engage completely
Thank you for the replies. I'll check it out further.

/ 4200 Hydrostatic positive lock won't engage completely #5  
I just started tearing into my 4300 to fix the diff lock. I bought it that way and from what I'm told the lock itself is a cast piece which is prone to breaking if engaged after one wheel is already spinning. A school had used it to plow sidewalks so it probably did a fair bit of spinning if the new guy forgot to engage 4x4. The pedal moves fine but doesn't do anything. The part is between $100-150 from memory, but lots of hours to replace it. According to the manual have to remove the right final drive and the 3 point rock shaft assembly. Hoping to get the old one remove this weekend, can let you know how it goes.

/ 4200 Hydrostatic positive lock won't engage completely #6  
One side of the diff-lock mechanism is soft cast steel; the other is harder/tougher steel.
So the former wears a lot when rubbing against the latter. If there is enough meat left
on the cast part, then you can shape it with a grinder to make it grab better, as I
did for one of my 4300s.

Otherwise, you are gonna have to buy the whole ring and pinion set. $$$$

Attachments

• dlock3.JPG
    dlock3.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 150
  • dlock4.JPG
    dlock4.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 121
  • dlock5.JPG
    dlock5.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 122
  • dlock6.JPG
    dlock6.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 99
  • dlock7.JPG
    dlock7.JPG
    856.5 KB · Views: 148
  • dlock7a.JPG
    dlock7a.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 124
   / 4200 Hydrostatic positive lock won't engage completely #7  
One side of the diff-lock mechanism is soft cast steel; the other is harder/tougher steel.
So the former wears a lot when rubbing against the latter. If there is enough meat left
on the cast part, then you can shape it with a grinder to make it grab better, as I
did for one of my 4300s.

Otherwise, you are gonna have to buy the whole ring and pinion set. $$$$

Wow, great pics! I'm assuming you're holding a new piece in the second pic? What did the original one look like?

/ 4200 Hydrostatic positive lock won't engage completely #8  
Wow, great pics! I'm assuming you're holding a new piece in the
second pic? What did the original one look like?

That IS the original piece. I just reshaped it with a die grinder and an angle grinder.

/ 4200 Hydrostatic positive lock won't engage completely #9  
That IS the original piece. I just reshaped it with a die grinder and an angle grinder.

I mean the smaller piece in your hand in pic 2 (not with the arrow), it looks like you ground the ring/pinion side.

/ 4200 Hydrostatic positive lock won't engage completely #10  
I mean the smaller piece in your hand in pic 2 (not with the arrow),
it looks like you ground the ring/pinion side.

Yes. Only the part attached to the ring gear was reshaped. It was an error on JD's part to use
such a soft steel as part of the diff-lock dog clutch.

It seems to work OK after this repair. No new parts were purchased.