Funny if you are the one watching

/ Funny if you are the one watching #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
Thought I would entertain you with my stupidity. I lent my brother a little skid steer years ago (JD375) when I first bought it. For a couple years he used it around his house. I know- guess I didn't really need it if I didn't even use it myself right away. It got where it might cost a little to keep going (the tires dry rotted and went flat). Sat in his back yard for several years with a heavy rubber tarp on it. I finally decided to get it back to the house and get it running.
Jacked it up with my forks onto blocks and took the wheel off to get new tires. Put new tires back on and towed it to a trailer and brought it home. Pulled tarp off and surprisingly it really looked pretty good. Got it back to my house and found a bullet hole in the radiator. I am kinda getting discouraged at this point but have friends encouraging me.
Took the radiator off, drained the fuel and replace the fuel filter, changed the oil. It is still on the trailer. Got a battery (didn't have the right type of battery terminals) and jumper cables and new fuel. No radiator yet but I don't want to spend any more on it if it doesn't run. Hit the key and it started up great after YEARS of sitting in brothers back yard. Yay. We are all happy. Better shut it off so it doesn't overheat. Turn key off. IT DOESN'T STOP. NOW WHAT. Disconnect battery-STILL RUNNING. Disconnect fuel line at tank-doesn't slow down. HMMMM. It is still on trailer so we cant run it into something to bogg it down and stall it out. Better get some water into it. Run and get the hose and it is 20 ft too short to reach. We started filling jugs of water and pouring it through funnel through machine. Water started flowing as the thermostat opened and closed. Had to keep doing this until it finally ran the fuel line dry.
It looked like the water never got super hot as we poured it through so I assume we didn't do any damage.
Now I need to dig into it and see how to make sure the shut off solenoid functions (I assume there is a solenoid for this purpose).
I would prefer to be one watching instead of the main participant but what are you going to do. Thought the biggest problem would be getting it running. Never considered not being able to shut it off.

/ Funny if you are the one watching #2  
Okay, I have a perverted sense of humor, that was funny!

Glad you got 'er shut down before it overheated. What, was it parked in your bother's back yard within gunshot range of a road or something? And one would think a radiator wouldn't offer much resistance to slow a bullet down, . . . well, unless it was a 22 or something. Assume you checked for further damage?

/ Funny if you are the one watching
Must have been a 22 because the hole doesn't come all the way through. I haven't dug it out yet. Was pissed off when I found it and didn't investigate further yet.
he thinks one of his friends is probably responsible by target shooting off his back deck but not sure which one. He lives on 80 acres so it could have been a lot of things in all the time since he ran it.

/ Funny if you are the one watching #4  
And one would think a radiator wouldn't offer much resistance to slow a bullet down, . . . well, unless it was a 22 or something. Assume you checked for further damage?
Unless it went through the back door first and deformed/spun so it only had enough energy to get into the radiator and not enough to go all the way through.

Aaron Z

/ Funny if you are the one watching #5  
Well, I bet it did look a bit like a Chinese fire drill for a while there! Umm, that's probably not PC to say anymore, is it? (snicker)

Well, I bet it did look a bit like a Chinese fire drill for a while there! Umm, that's probably not PC to say anymore, is it? (snicker)

The subset of things that I would say and things that are PC seems to be rapidly getting smaller

/ Funny if you are the one watching #7  
Prof....
jdparts.com shows a fuel shutoff solenoid assembly for the 375.

John Deere Fuel Shutoff Solenoid AM124377

You might look for it and check if the ignition switch activates it with/without voltage.

/ Funny if you are the one watching #8  
Right after we moved to the new house after years of apartment living we bought a self propelled mower that you have to hold the lever up to run and when you let go it stops the engine. Got it home, put it together, cranked it, and handed it off to the wife to mow the back yard. In the meantime I hop on the tractor and start mowing the front yard with the tractor.
A little while later my wife stops me and asks "how do you turn this mower off." I walk back to the back yard and there it is sitting with the lever down and running like a top. We studied it and I got pliers and tried moving the cable that the lever is connected to and nothing. Finally I just had to use the pliers and pull the wire off the spark plug.
The mower went back the next day for an exchange.

/ Funny if you are the one watching #9  
I'd be looking for mice nest with the time it sat idle.

Ronnie

Prof....
jdparts.com shows a fuel shutoff solenoid assembly for the 375.

John Deere Fuel Shutoff Solenoid AM124377

You might look for it and check if the ignition switch activates it with/without voltage.
I will try to check it out. Not sure exactly how it is supposed to work. Should it energize to open fuel and then close when key is off?