955 Transmission/Transaxle parts

/ 955 Transmission/Transaxle parts #1  

fsr2007

Tractor
JD 955
Well......I've finally decided to dive into my transmission. I love my 955 but I hate the fact that I can't use the snow blower (mid pto does not work...I suspect the shift fork is broken). I've tried to get into the transmission by removing the front differential drive shaft gear off the front of the transmission....(If I stick a dental pick inside the transmission while shift the pto lever I can feel the shift fork move), was hoping I could catch the gear and manipulate it into the mid/rear pto position but, no can do. So now I've gotta pull the tranny. I know it's a job.

I have 2 questions:

1) Anyone know a trick to getting the gear to move inside the trans, to the mid/rear pto position without removing the trans?

2) If I have to remove the trans, where is the best place to get parts? My local JD dealer is super expensive.....

Thanks!

/ 955 Transmission/Transaxle parts #2  
Don't know a trick to answer #1.

For #2, find the part # you need and price it out through the dealer, another Deere store, or online by searching for that part #.
Pick the best price... and good luck on finding the part.

Hope you keep us posted on your tranny fix.

I assume you have the service tech manual for the 955.

/ 955 Transmission/Transaxle parts
Don't know a trick to answer #1.

For #2, find the part # you need and price it out through the dealer, another Deere store, or online by searching for that part #.
Pick the best price... and good luck on finding the part.

Hope you keep us posted on your tranny fix.

I assume you have the service tech manual for the 955.

Good plan on the parts search. I do have a Tech Manual now, thanks to another forum member.
Thanks!

/ 955 Transmission/Transaxle parts #4  
So now I've gotta pull the tranny. I know it's a job.

I have owned 4 ex-rental 955s and none of them had gearbox or HST problems. These
are good robust units, and you should be able to get at least some of the parts from
JD still. Use this opportunity to remove the mechanical interlock under the seat and
add the power beyond plug and hoses.

I long ago gave up on my local JD dealer as too pricey and sales tax is now over 9% here.
There are several good online JD dealers....Bombergers comes to mind. I have used
several. You can also use JDparts.com for price estimates. Of course, if you are in PA,
find another one.

/ 955 Transmission/Transaxle parts #5  
If you have the manual, then you probably already know that in addition to removing the transmission you also have to separate the frame from the transaxle essentially splitting the tractor in two. But before you get all willy nilly, have checked all the linkage? Also, there is a roll pin that connects the shift arm to shift shaft. Have you checked to make sure that pin hasn't sheared? If the shift arm moves but the shift shaft doesn't, then the pin has sheared.

I have owned 4 ex-rental 955s and none of them had gearbox or HST problems. These
are good robust units, and you should be able to get at least some of the parts from
JD still. Use this opportunity to remove the mechanical interlock under the seat and
add the power beyond plug and hoses.

I long ago gave up on my local JD dealer as too pricey and sales tax is now over 9% here.
There are several good online JD dealers....Bombergers comes to mind. I have used
several. You can also use JDparts.com for price estimates. Of course, if you are in PA,
find another one.

Clearly you have more experience with the 955's than I do. What does removing the mech interlock do? and what do you mean by adding more power?

If you have the manual, then you probably already know that in addition to removing the transmission you also have to separate the frame from the transaxle essentially splitting the tractor in two. But before you get all willy nilly, have checked all the linkage? Also, there is a roll pin that connects the shift arm to shift shaft. Have you checked to make sure that pin hasn't sheared? If the shift arm moves but the shift shaft doesn't, then the pin has sheared.

Already done....thats the first thing I checked. shaft arm and shift shaft move together. I wish it was that!

/ 955 Transmission/Transaxle parts #8  
Clearly you have more experience with the 955's than I do. What does removing
the mech interlock do? and what do you mean by adding more power?

You will see the mech interlock when you remove the seat and associated hardware. Mostly it is so
the tractor can not be operated with the seat up. Not all bad, but they can be a headache as the
tractor ages.

You are not going to add more power, the power beyond capability is so you can add an AUX
hydraulic valve. You may want to search for that on TBN.

/ 955 Transmission/Transaxle parts #9  
If it does come down to needing some expensive parts in your transmission, I have had excellent luck with the tractor salvage yards. I replaced the ring gear and pinion in the transmission along with some of the other gears for 1/2 the price of new for like new gears. While I had it apart, I replaced the hi/lo selector fork because mine was showing some wear, again with a used fork for 1/2 price, which was again like new.