Opinions about John Deere's decision to do this.

/ Opinions about John Deere's decision to do this. #1  

corey9212

Platinum Member
Tractor
2015 John Deere 3046R
Hello, I have a 3046R (with the deluxe cab) and am quite surprised at what this little tractor can do. One thing though that baffles me is the rear SCV's and why John Deere decided to go this way and other peoples opinions about this set up.

I have 4 scv's in the front for the loader and snowblower hook up's and I have 8 in the back (6 for attachments and 2 for the power beyond for my backhoe) now most tractors would have either a lever or buttons to opperate each scv but John Deere decided that all of the scv's on the tractor would run through the loader Joystick (you push a button and the Joystick becomes a remote for the rears and push it again and you have use of your loader again.) There is plenty of empty slots in the cab that you could easily put in e-scv buttons to control the rear ones so why didn't John Deere go this route?

/ Opinions about John Deere's decision to do this. #2  
I agree it is the reason why I have a kubota among other things.

I think the comercial operators really like them but the problem I have with them is that when you are turned around backing up with a snowblower for example the joystick is not in a good place to use to control the chute.

/ Opinions about John Deere's decision to do this. #3  
corey
Seems you can relocate your switches to any place in the cab that is more convenient to you. Or is there some confusion as to where you would rather have them, from where they are now? just askin....

/ Opinions about John Deere's decision to do this.
corey Seems you can relocate your switches to any place in the cab that is more convenient to you. Or is there some confusion as to where you would rather have them, from where they are now? just askin....
It's not the switch to activate the rear remotes it's the fact that you have to use your loader valve to operate your rear remotes, you use your loader joystick for the loader (ok no problem) but then you flick a switch in the cab and your loader is now deactivated and your loader joystick runs the rear remotes (not exactly productive) then you flick the switch again and your rear remotes are deactivated and your loader joystick now runs your loader again, there's no seperate button or control stick for each valve

/ Opinions about John Deere's decision to do this. #5  
Much equipment has gone this route. Ever look at a harvester for forestry work? The joystick is insane! I guess when you get on to it, it's easier, but for occassional light use, I am not sure it's easier on the operator. There is probably no industry standard of any kind on this one. Voice commands through your cell phone and blue tooth would be much better . . . NOT!

Much equipment now even has direction, range and throttle control on the joystick as well, not just hydraulic functions.

/ Opinions about John Deere's decision to do this. #6  
Hello, I have a 3046R (with the deluxe cab) and am quite surprised at what this little tractor can do. One thing though that baffles me is the rear SCV's and why John Deere decided to go this way and other peoples opinions about this set up.

I have 4 scv's in the front for the loader and snowblower hook up's and I have 8 in the back (6 for attachments and 2 for the power beyond for my backhoe) now most tractors would have either a lever or buttons to opperate each scv but John Deere decided that all of the scv's on the tractor would run through the loader Joystick (you push a button and the Joystick becomes a remote for the rears and push it again and you have use of your loader again.) There is plenty of empty slots in the cab that you could easily put in e-scv buttons to control the rear ones so why didn't John Deere go this route?

Do you have four couplers or four circuits on the front? I suspect your tractor has two valves connected to the joy stick that you manually control and one electric operated valve using a rocker switch. The reason it is done this way is it is cheaper. Diverters are cheaper than good selective control valves. On your tractor you would have four couplers for two circuits on the front in the "A" diverter position and two circuits on the rear connected to the "B" diverter position. The joystick is linked to two control valves which connect directly to the dual diverter valve bank.

On the 110tlb a triple diverter is used to provide three circuits in front and three in the rear. It still uses 3 valves to get the 6 circuits.

/ Opinions about John Deere's decision to do this. #7  
corey
I see your point.

Another, would be the room it takes to add more control valves.

Maybe you can fab some additional control valves to handle the rear hydraulics. Or some linkage to the one control lever you have now.

/ Opinions about John Deere's decision to do this.
Much equipment has gone this route. Ever look at a harvester for forestry work? The joystick is insane! I guess when you get on to it, it's easier, but for occassional light use, I am not sure it's easier on the operator. There is probably no industry standard of any kind on this one. Voice commands through your cell phone and blue tooth would be much better . . . NOT! Much equipment now even has direction, range and throttle control on the joystick as well, not just hydraulic functions.
On the bigger equipment I could see it being benificial but on something this small it feels more of a hinderance than anything

Do you have four couplers or four circuits on the front? I suspect your tractor has two valves connected to the joy stick that you manually control and one electric operated valve using a rocker switch. The reason it is done this way is it is cheaper. Diverters are cheaper than good selective control valves. On your tractor you would have four couplers for two circuits on the front in the "A" diverter position and two circuits on the rear connected to the "B" diverter position. The joystick is linked to two control valves which connect directly to the dual diverter valve bank. On the 110tlb a triple diverter is used to provide three circuits in front and three in the rear. It still uses 3 valves to get the 6 circuits.
I have 4 couplers on the front for the loader and snowblower and have 8 on the rear (6 for remotes and two are power beyond for my backhoe) yes the joystick has a rocker switch that operates one set of remotes in the rear.

corey I see your point. Another, would be the room it takes to add more control valves. Maybe you can fab some additional control valves to handle the rear hydraulics. Or some linkage to the one control lever you have now.
There is lots of room in the cab to add more valves to control the rear remotes, you wouldn't want to put levers in the cab cause it would get tight but the rocker switches that e-scv uses would work with tons of room

/ Opinions about John Deere's decision to do this. #9  
I used to drive a snow cat for grooming ski trails and we had twelve function front blades on a single joystick and you could control the rear tiller on off up down and side to side plus there was a dimmer wheel for the travel speed all on the same joystick. Once you got used to which button did what it worked like a charm in that application where we were never using the rear tiller in reverse. When you look at using the tractor from a rear mounted snow blower perspective the joystick location just isn't right to be used to make blower adjustments while half turned around in the seat driving backwards.