Snow 1999 JD 4400 question tail lights. warning flashers, need a wiring diagram

/ 1999 JD 4400 question tail lights. warning flashers, need a wiring diagram #1  

jbriant

Tractor
1999 John Deere 4400
Hi,

I have a 1999 John Deere 4400(LV4400H241993), in the winter I run a front mounted JD 5ft snow blower and Brush hog 4ft blade on the back. When I go forward, i blow snow, when i am going backward I push snow and sometimes I do both at once. Either way it keeps my half mile of driveway pretty clear. Well I have always just relied on the flashing ROPs lights for when I was going backwards pushing snow. I decided to purchase a couple of LED spot lights to mount on the back. I figured I could just wire them into the existing wiring in the back that connects to the ROPs light. Each ROP light assembly has two bulbs, one they call a warning light and the other a tail light. The warning light is a regular 12v dc lamp, the tail light is a small peanut bulb that mounts in the top half of light assembly. As i was reading the manual about these lights it leads me to believe that the tail light would be on when the lights were on, the warning light would flash when you have the switch in the warning light position. well, in my case both lights within the ROPs only flash. And when you turn the switch to headlights only, the two lights go out so all i have on are headlights. I have been researching this a bit on the web and in the manual and it also says you can hook up a work light to this tractor and mount it in the back. when i look at the fuse block, the fuse for tail lights has a fuse in it but it makes no difference if you remove it in the operation of any of the lights in the two ROPs lights. If I look at the wires going to the ROPs lights there are three wires, a grey wire a green wire and a black wire. I put a dc meter on each of the colored wires and used the black wire as my ground. Both wires showed a voltage that would cause the light to go off and on(flash).

I have been trying to find a wiring diagram for my tractor but have not had much luck. If anyone can help or has an idea about this situation, I would welcome all comments.

/ 1999 JD 4400 question tail lights. warning flashers, need a wiring diagram #2  
:welcome: to TBN

There is a tied off connector in the rear harness to plug the rear work lights into, and they are powered when the light switch is turned full clockwise.

Here is the light schematic for the 4400 with your s/n (falls under the "old" version).

Attachments

• 4400_lights_old.jpg
    4400_lights_old.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 8,662
Last edited:
   / 1999 JD 4400 question tail lights. warning flashers, need a wiring diagram #3  
deleted

/ 1999 JD 4400 question tail lights. warning flashers, need a wiring diagram #4  
There is a tied off connector in the rear harness to plug the rear work lights into, and they are powered when the light switch is turned full clockwise.

IIRC, you can find that under the seat...

I have a .pdf copy of the service manual, BTW. If you're interested, send me a PM

/ 1999 JD 4400 question tail lights. warning flashers, need a wiring diagram #5  
IIRC, my 4300 connector was folded and taped into the wiring harness just to the left (looking from rear forward) as the harness was about to go through the hole punched in the ROPS.

/ 1999 JD 4400 question tail lights. warning flashers, need a wiring diagram
I have taken a look under the seat and I see the plastic conduit that I believe has the wiring for the ROPs light. Is the tied off connector outside of the conduit under the seat? I have looked at the conduit but it was a little bit under the PTO cutoff switch and it seemed to be snugged in there pretty good. I did not try to disassemble the parts over the top of it. Does this tied off connector come off that conduit, I looked pretty closely as I had read there was a connection back there for the optional work light but could not find it....

Wow, Thanks! I just went out to look for that in the spot you mentioned. Did you have to pull the tied off end out of the conduit or was it tied off out in the open.

/ 1999 JD 4400 question tail lights. warning flashers, need a wiring diagram #8  
I believe tied off and taped in the bundle, but in the open. But that is a 15 yr old "recall". :D

Not sure what you call "conduit". And left side, not the PTO switch (lever engage/stop) side on the right.

Will add pic of rear harness so you can maybe tell where the different wires come out of that harness..

Attachments

• 4400_harness_old.jpg
    4400_harness_old.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 4,559
The protective plastic covering the wiring bundle goes into = conduit. Protects the individual wires.

When your light switch is fully clockwise, are there any lights on in two ROPs light assemblies or are they both completely off?

/ 1999 JD 4400 question tail lights. warning flashers, need a wiring diagram #10  
IIRC, they are off. Added a pic to last post showing harness and how bundled.