Charging Issue-2520

/ Charging Issue-2520 #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Guys,

One of my sons has an issue with his 2520. I told him to write it up and send to me for posting. Here it is:

Hoping someone on here can help or provide suggestions...
I have a 2007 JD2520 and i'm having trouble with charging system. Battery keeps on dying... tested and charged battery twice so battery is good. When I have the charged battery the tractor starts and runs fine, Voltage at battery is 12.2v. I can unplug alt and it is unchanged with tractor running. Already replaced alternator and hasn't helped. I am thinking Voltage regulator.This is the 20 amp system with the separate VR, I already opened up dash and plugs etc seem to be intact and okay....
Any suggestions would be great.

By the way, battery is a new Die Hard replaced last spring. He has taken it back to Sears-they say.."its good"

As always appreciate any thoughts.

Bob

/ Charging Issue-2520 #2  
Should be a little over 14 V when running and the alternator putting out voltage. Sounds like it is still the alternator. Might have him take it in and have it bench tested.

/ Charging Issue-2520 #3  
You say the "Battery keeps on dying." What do you mean? After the tractor has not been running for a while i.e. overnight? Or perhaps after the tractor has been running for a while i.e. a few hours?

/ Charging Issue-2520 #4  
Has your son checked to be sure exciter wire at alternator has 12 volts when ign switch is turned on? JD is proud of their VR. M807915 Regulator - REGULATOR ADD 161.14 USD

/ Charging Issue-2520 #5  
I had similar charging issues on an earlier model JD4100 and a faulty glow plug timer was the culprit. Gave me fits until I discovered that was what it was. The alternator's AC output read good and I almost went down the route of getting a replacement VR. Just unplugging the connecting harness to the module allowed the charging circuit to recover immediately.

I never did replace it either as it was near $100 for one, but the circuit design still allows me to manually operate the glow plugs if I need them.

My module was located in front of the engine compartment above the radiator

/ Charging Issue-2520
I had similar charging issues on an earlier model JD4100 and a faulty glow plug timer was the culprit. Gave me fits until I discovered that was what it was. The alternator's AC output read good and I almost went down the route of getting a replacement VR. Just unplugging the connecting harness to the module allowed the charging circuit to recover immediately.

I never did replace it either as it was near $100 for one, but the circuit design still allows me to manually operate the glow plugs if I need them.

My module was located in front of the engine compartment above the radiator

DFB- this thing doesn't have glow plugs-in fact it has nothing in terms of cold weather starting-but as an aside, I have a neighbor with a 4100. She calls me up one day as she has lost a rim seal and has calcium all over the floor and asks if I can come down to help out-her husband is a "high tech genius"-get the picture. So I get the tire inflated and I'm starting tractor and she sees me hesitate as I'm holding key in to activate glow plug. she questions what I'm doing. they bought this thing new about 10 years ago and never knew a thing about cold weather starting!

/ Charging Issue-2520
Has your son checked to be sure exciter wire at alternator has 12 volts when ign switch is turned on? JD is proud of their VR. M807915 Regulator - REGULATOR ADD 161.14 USD

thx-he'll check that out

/ Charging Issue-2520
You say the "Battery keeps on dying." What do you mean? After the tractor has not been running for a while i.e. overnight? Or perhaps after the tractor has been running for a while i.e. a few hours?

Overnight- tractor runs fine, but it won't hold a charge over night.

/ Charging Issue-2520
Should be a little over 14 V when running and the alternator putting out voltage. Sounds like it is still the alternator. Might have him take it in and have it bench tested.

He is NOT getting 14-and this is a new alternator-hear you on the bench test

/ Charging Issue-2520 #10