JD 5400 Tractor stops and engine stalls

/ JD 5400 Tractor stops and engine stalls #1  

eyalahav

Tractor
John Deere 5400. Case 2290 (1983) Caterpillar D4 (1942)
The Tractor:
A John Deere 5400 Tractor, Serial No.: 5400542074 Engine Model 3029TLV01
Engine Serial No.: 3029247613 Year of manufacture: 1996. Made in USA. 9 Forward and 3 Reverse gears.

The problem:
While driving, the tractor stops spontaneously as if the brakes of both wheels where locked simultaneously.
There is a sound of 鼎LACK as if something Locked, the engine stalls and stops.
If the driver presses the clutch just in time to stop the engine from cutting out, without touching the gear lever, the driver can release the clutch and continue driving as if nothing happened until next time it suddenly happens.
Again and again.

The gearbox was opened and checked, no mechanical damage was found, no metal shavings found in the oil, or in the oil filter.

Can you help us solve this problem please?

My grandfather once had a Mule that did something similar, but grandpa he knew how to fix that.

Best regards, John Murphy, Engineering Services.

/ JD 5400 Tractor stops and engine stalls #2  
Search that model and see if that is one that has the brake problems... maybe someone will recognize this and step in with some good help.

:welcome: to TBN

/ JD 5400 Tractor stops and engine stalls #3  
Welcome to TBN...................

If the tractor is in 4WD and you are driving on a hard surface the front and rear differentials can cause binding and can cause a lock up of all 4 wheels. Its not the same as a 4WD vehicle which has the same or much closer ratio F&R. Even on 4WD trucks its not recommended to drive on hard surfaces in 4WD. On snow, dirt, sand, ice, mud etc it is OK to leave in 4WD. On a tractor the front wheels actually turn faster than the rears. This is not a problem on soft surfaces due to slippage. Pushing the clutch in releases the force / torque from the engine on the drive line probably just enough to allow you to continue a little further. This may be one answer to the problem.

/ JD 5400 Tractor stops and engine stalls
Search that model and see if that is one that has the brake problems... maybe someone will recognize this and step in with some good help.

:welcome: to TBN
Dear Mr. Beethere.
I am new to this forum.
How do I "Search that model" and see if that is one that has the brake problems?
Is there a list of tractors for which there are documented "brake problems"?
Thank you for your help.
John Murphy, Engineering Services.

/ JD 5400 Tractor stops and engine stalls #5  
There's a long history of JD 5000 series tractor brakes dragging from weakened brake disk pull off springs. My neighbor just completed R&R of these springs on his 5310. One needs to remove rear axle housings

/ JD 5400 Tractor stops and engine stalls #6  
--------------------
How do I "Search that model" and see if that is one that has the brake problems?
----------------------------------------------
Use the "Google Custom Search" located at the top of the page.

gcs.JPG

/ JD 5400 Tractor stops and engine stalls
Hello all.
The Problem was found to be in the Hi and Lo range changing components in the gearbox.
See the attached "Word" file for detailed story and drawings / list of parts replaced.
Best regards,

/ JD 5400 Tractor stops and engine stalls #8  
Thanks for the update. It may help future info seekers. :thumbsup: